What If I am Actually right? [movements of poles]

The OP reminds me a lot of something I read on a different message board. Novagaea - is that you?

I blame it on the friggin’ elves moving the poles. They’re such pranksters.

Well, in a way he’s right. I mean, isn’t it true that the core spins? So the mistake here is that the majority of the bulk is in the attached-together outer layer, whereas the small liquid core spins independently and is sort of along for the ride.

Wait, is this a global warming thing? You do realize that climate change happens all over the world, not just in the US, right?

The magma is spinning a little, the crust is spinning a lot, and we’re riding on top?

Who do I move away from so I don’t end up wearing corn-dog & pizza? :eek: :stuck_out_tongue:

Novagaea - is that you?

No its not.

I came up with this theory while examining the shape of the icecap an egg shapped cap covering just Europe and North America while leaving Alaska western arctic and Siberiba Ice Free makes no sence. I there is to be an ice age the ice would advance from true north as a center point and advance on all sides equally. How when the earth is stable does Mid west US have an Ice cap over it and does Siberia not?

Hapgood noticed the evidence for Magnetic pole movement as we see today which is 40Km per year moving northwards and accelerating. He proposed that the earth was placed off center by the wieght of the ice caps Einstein concluded that the wieght of the ice cap is not enough to tip over the planet so to speak.

The ice caps on north and south poles balance each other so no matter how heavy one gets the other should be equally as great. But if you have a “sudden impact” event such as the Arizona Meteor not striking directly but just grazing the crust so to speak like spinning wheel. So that the magnet pole is the center of the icecap and true north are just imaginary lines on a map. Its the reason we have to use declanation points to adjust the compass. The magnetic poles move. But what if its the crust and the poles are stationary?

You have the right idea but the crust only moves out of sinc with the earth 40KM per year. the movement started in 1904. North America hastraveled so 400km shouth since 1904 and Europe is heading North.

You may well be wearing your corn dog & Pizza if the movement continues to accelerate then suddenly stops. Not to mention a heathy dose of salt water to wash it down with.

With global warming is that correct or is it climate change based on the earths crust shifting? What I am saying is the Globe is not warming and the poles are not shifting the crust is sliding on the magma layer north america southwards and Europe Northward. Isn’t America getting hotter? And is not Europe experiencing Coldest winters on record? Britian cannot cope with the snow.

And as we have pointed out, your theory is demonstrably false. Geostationary satellites, stars, the sun, all would shift in very obvious ways relative to the earth’s surface. It’s a nice idea, but it’s wrong, OK?

Since no one explained this, it means “Too Long; Didn’t Read”.

Neither can South Carolina, dear. We almost had our coldest December ever, and it’s snowed twice in January.

This was undoubtedly the loudest and most massive whoosh in the history of this board.

OK- sorry.

The Earth’s crust doesn’t have anywhere near the structural integrity to be able to respond to such a grazing blow in any way except breaking into pieces. A bit like playing golf with eggs instead of golf balls.

Well is that not what we have now a broken crust called fault lines? No more like a big ball filled with water being hit with a grain of sand traveling at 40km/second the ball will react.

Yes the pole will center over northeren sweden or western europe effecting the eastern seaboard. West coast getting warmer Now remember this is 40 km south a year not 400. But we have been on the move since 1904.

Not really. Anything big and forceful enough to impart significant force would just splash through the crust. A bag of water being hit by a very small, very fast particle will just break.

But anyway, there are a number of reasons why your (granted, interesting) idea doesn’t fit reality. If magnetic drift was caused by shifting of the crust alone, astronomers would notice.

You have just given an opinion not a demonstration there is a marked difference.

And thats exactly what the meteor did but it did so with significant force like say a ballon with a bit of sand in it , in a bath tub touch the ballon an it will try to right itsself after a few wobbles.

Your hypothesis isn’t right. It isn’t even right enough to be wrong. You can’t just dismiss basic, well understood, and repeatable evidence such as the way geostationary satellites, GPS, the entire field of radio astronomy, and the evidence from our eyes looking at the sky as “opinion” and expect to be taken seriously.

Exactly. The OP is trying to construct an explanation for a set of phenomena which are not in evidence. A bit like discussing the colour of unicorn shit.