What If The Discovery Mission Fails?

Hey, I have an idea!

Ack. Serves me right for thinking before finishing reading the post! :wink:

Can they can fly and land the shuttle with no one aboard like Buran?

Not at the moment - the Shuttles are designed to only be flown manned. Although the actual flight control and guidance is done by the computers and can be remote-controlled, there are still several steps in the mission process that require on-board crew. It wouldn’t be impossible to make a shuttle fully automated, but AFAIK there’s no plan to do this at the moment. Current thinking seems to be that it will be better to develop a new unmanned cargo carrier based on shuttle-derived hardware.

(man these boards are finicky; two failed posts)

I’m not saying don’t replace the shuttle, I’m saying scrap it now, keep the ISS “limping” on Russian missions, and build the replacement ASAP. Sam Stone makes my point for me:

A lot of money is being wasted on the current shuttle that could be spent on new crew-only and cargo-only models. The crew-only module could be built to be a lot safer; safety first, right? And by separating the two, priority could be given to the crew-only pod to get it going sooner.

I guess what NASA is trying to do is get as many ISS pieces up before giving up on the shuttle. But there’s nothing crucial about the ISS, other than having a huge budget and therefore a lot of political clout associated with it. I can only hope NASA doesn’t rush or let its risk assessment be skewed by ISS schedules.

NASA is trying to finish ISS because it has made commitments to its partners to do so. NASA plans to extricate itself from ISS by 2016.