What is a Googe?

I work in London (UK) & travel the aging sooty pipes known as the tube. I often pass through Googe St station and wonder.

So, Teeming Millions: What is a Googe?

Barnabe Googe - British poet/horticulturalist?

Amazing how quickly that got solved. I barely had time to hit refresh before a TM jumped the thread.

Thanks.

when I lived in London, going through Googe st always reminded me of the Goodies. Don’t know why - I even lived in Cricklewood at the time.

I was just about to answer the question, What is a Google? Isn’t that ironic?

A very large number.

http://www.word-detective.com/011502.html#googol

10 raised to the hundredth power, Not named by a child though.

Its Goodge Street. Called after Mr or Ms Goodge, I guess, but I have no idea who he or she was.

No, no, no!

A googol is a very large number.

A google is a very large searchable database.

What do you mean by that? The link you provided says that it was. It also discusses the connection to the search engine.

Donovan did a song called Sunny Goodge Street. I remembered it when I went to London and it became a game wandering around looking for other song references.

"Evidently Milton just plain dreamed it up out of thin air. "

My mistake

Well, as I’ve been beaten to pointing out that is it “Goodge” and presumably named after some Mr/Ms Goodge, I’ll add the useless info that it is one of those which also has very deep shelters which have been put to use in wartime. This is educational for me, cos I know my father mentioned it, but I never bothered to check it.

from: http://freespace.virgin.net/roy.smith5/deepshelters.htm

Perhaps I’m a bit too out of sleep or coffee, but I can’t so far find the name origin. I’ll mail a friend who works in Univ. of London just to distract her :slight_smile: and see if she knows.

Yes, it is named after a Mr. or Mrs. Goodge. This is exactly the sort of question where one can turn to Weinreb and Hibbert’s The London Encyclopaedia and be confident that they’ll have an answer. The relevant part of their “Goodge Street” entry is:

The gruesome piece of local colour they go on to cite involves the anatomist John Hunter trying to revive a hanged forger in a hot bath, after the body had been carried from Tyburn to the street.

Nothing quite so exciting about Warren Street, the next stop on the Northern Line and the one I get off at en route to work every day.

Thank you very much for your time. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: