What is a show/movie theory that you came up with?

I like the Super-Serum theories, and love E-DUB’s fitting Creeper into the story. But we’d have to assume that Steve Ditko’s original origin story was wrong. In that, journalist (and talk show host) Jack Ryder transforms via technology… he’s got a box. And no solid explanation as to why he gets an outlandish costume or yellow skin. Or why he’s borderline insane as The Creeper but totally normal when he’s Jack.

I think that’s one reason Keith Giffen ‘re-origined’ him in '87, to explain why Jack Ryder was sane, and didn’t even remember what he did while he was the Creeper (when he was pretty much psychotic, but it’s more tech… oh, it’s complicated, just read it in Secret Origins).

Did you actually read the origin story in Showcase 73? It explains how he got the outlandish costume and yellow skin, and why he acts borderline insane.

The re-imagining was part of a wave of re-imaginings from the post-silver age in which lots of characters from both Marvel and DC (Negative Man from the Doom Patrol, Eclipso, Plantman) got a lot more mystical and weirder.

What’s really weird is that I’d bought that exact issue last week (one bit of normalcy: I’m still exploring 50¢ bins in comic shops), and read it YESTERDAY.

I started to type out Giffen’s explanation but realized it wouldn’t make any sense without two paragraphs of techno-babble, so I skipped it.

Ordinarily, I don’t like retconning origin stories (how many has Hawkman had?), but Keith Giffen changed The Creeper’s just enough that it makes sense. And makes the character unpredictable and wild and… well, creepy.

I recently re-watched Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League, which reminded me of the following theory. I came up with it shortly after seeing BvS, to try to make sense of Luthor’s convoluted, nonsensical scheme, and tweaked it slightly after seeing JL. It’s a fan theory, but I’m positive that at least some elements of it must be what the filmmakers intended.

After the events of Man of Steel, most of the world is obsessed with Superman’s existence and what it means to our world. Lex Luthor, one of the smartest human beings on the planet, sees the bigger issue: aliens exist. They are physically powerful, technologically advanced, view us as little more than vermin, and they’ve been here before. One of them has been living among us for decades, undetected. How many more have their been?

Luthor uses his vast resources to scour the globe. Picking up bits of Kryptonian tech left over from the invasion, sure, and pieces of Kryptonite, as well, but those are mostly sidelines. What he’s really looking for is evidence of previous alien visitations. And he finds it - an Apokolyptan Mother Box. (Presumably the lost “tribes of man” box left over from Steppenwolf’s aborted invasion).

A prodigious intellect with a matching prodigious ego, Luthor manages to figure out how to activate it, and foolishly does so. Which puts his mind into communion with that of Darkseid, a malevolent, insane space god. Luthor’s psyche is almost immediately overwhelmed, driving him insane.

From there, he seeks to carry out Darkseid’s agenda, but he’s an insane human trying to enact an insane, alien agenda, so it’s a bit…off. But, also, his psyche was almost immediately overwhelmed. Luthor underestimated the dangers of the Mother Box, but equally, Darkseid underestimated him. Luthor has a Level 10 intellect. As his psyche was being overwhelmed, he managed to partition off a relatively sane facet of psyche. A facet which schemed against Darkseid and his agenda.

Following Darkseid’s agenda, Luthor doesn’t want to just kill heroes. He wants to kill the idea of heroes. It’s not enough to simply kill Batman and Superman. He wants to manipulate them into killing each other, and in the process destroy their legends. He wants to kill hope.

To do so, in his insanity, he concocts a ridiculously over-elaborate scheme. But, the sane fragment of his psyche also seeds the scheme’s own undoing. He uses military contractors to “frame” Superman for war crimes. But instead of giving the contractors generic, untraceable weapons and ammunition, he gives them uniquely identifiable and traceable, proprietary LexCorp technology. Because the sane fragment of his psyche wants the scheme to be uncovered, and fail.

Every part of his scheme that doesn’t make sense? It’s a combination of him being insane and trying to carry out an insane alien agenda, and the sane fragment of his psyche deliberately undermining it.

He’s the one that made sure the Mother Box wound up at S.T.A.R. Labs, with Dr. Silas Stone. Sure, he was trying to sow chaos and expose humans to its corrupting influence as part of Darkseid’s agenda. But he also put it into the hands of one of the few humans on Earth that could begin to unlock its secrets. He may even have arranged Victor Stone’s “accident”, to force Silas into using it, creating a human cyborg that can interface with and defeat Mother Box technology. Not to mention, unlike the Atlantean and Amazonian Mother Boxes, Steppenwolf apparently couldn’t detect the human Mother Box until our heroes used it on the Kryptonian ship. Putting it in S.T.A.R. Labs also seems to have been a pretty effective means of hiding it from Steppenwolf.

He invites Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne to his house. Why? He says, “I like to bring people together.” But why is he bringing them together? Sure, it’s part of his scheme to stoke the tensions between them, but he doesn’t actually do anything to stoke those tensions, beyond making sure they run into each other. Instead, he literally opens the door for the World’s Greatest Detective, who has All the Cool Toys, and exposes his computer server. Which has an unsecured access port. Behind an unlocked door. A few feet from the ballroom where the party is taking place. In a hall being used by the caterers, only a few feet from the kitchen, which is filled with random, anonymous outside staff. It’s almost like he’s providing Bruce Wayne with a multitude of options to steal data from the server…

Which, sure, is part of his convoluted “Batman and Superman kill each other scheme.” He wants Batman to find the info on the kryptonite, so Batman will steal it and use it against Superman. But he also “just happens”, for no reason whatsoever, has data on Aquaman, the Flash, Cyborg, and Wonder Woman on that same server. Because the sane fragment of his psyche wants Batman to find that data, and use it to assemble a team of heroes.

And, of course, Luthor’s theft of a photograph and the party “just happen” to lure Diana of Themiscyra out of a century of hiding in the shadows, where she meets, and allies with, Batman.

Because Lex Luthor “likes to bring people together.”

Ladies and gentlemen, Lex Luthor founded the Justice League.

Nice Job Fixing It, Villain, IOW.

A couple of esoteric ones, from me:

-In the Terminator series, when Skynet was designing the T-800 model 101 (Arnie), to be extra convincing, it needed to use a human as a template. This required a subject that had very detailed medical records, including actual blood/tissue samples for cloning the outer flesh, preferably good audio-visual records to copy voice and mannerisms, and who was physically large enough to accommodate the production endoskeleton.

A good candidate for this? Major Alan “Dutch” Schaefer—who’d have gotten a very thorough debriefing and medical exam after surviving the fight with a Predator, and it’s mini-nuke. Records of which would have been very tightly secured in US government files…which Skynet could very likely have gotten access to.

-Second one, which came to me when I was half-dozing one morning on a day off…

There’s evidence of a connection between the film Blade Runner and the Aliens/Predator movies. Dallas’ onscreen bio in Aliens mentions he worked for Tyrell, and Ridley Scott has said (and there’s concept art supporting this) that he considered making this explicit in Prometheus, with some Weyland troopers being Replicants—including a Roy Batty. A Bluray extra from Prometheus, framed as an excerpt from Peter Weyland’s journals, fairly clearly alluding to Eldon Tyrell being an old friend and mentor of Weyland. (And, as an aside, there are several thematic parallels between Blade Runner and Prometheus—enough that, personally, I think it almost works better as a Blade Runner sequel than an Alien prequel)

But anyway…what’s my theory born from all this?

The reason why Blade Runner’s 2019 was much more technologically advanced than the real world at the same date…is because it’s the result of reverse-engineered from Predator hardware, scraps of it having been scavenged and captured over the decades of known Predator hunts. Just a few lucky breaks—a type of power supply, part of a computer system, examples of alien metallurgy—proving enough to eventually snowball into a massive scientific/industrial boom, producing an alternate future.

Bonus theory: If Blade Runner and Alien/Predator are in the same universe, then Blade Runner also coexists in the same universe that shares references to the fictional country of Val Verde (semi-canonically a country in Predator). This includes Commando, and…Die Hard.

Ergo, John McClaine exists in the same universe as Blade Runner.

LAPD Sergeant Al Powell has, very possibly, worked with Rick Deckard.

Probably not the biggest stretch of the imagination here but a notion that has stayed consistent in a franchise that hasn’t: Skynet is winning. For all the victories our heroes achieve in each movie all they are doing is making the next version of Skynet stronger. By the time we get to the fifth movie Skynet is actively jumping between timelines conquering itself (edit: we also see the beginnings of this in T3 when the T-X jump-starts Skynet). The humans aren’t really obstacles.

I don’t think this one is my theory but I have always loved it: Bishop is the one who planted the egg on the Sulaco. He straight up lies about the second dropship’s flight time and no one calls him on it. So while everyone was waiting “40 minutes flight time” Bishop used the Express Elevator to Hell to ferry an egg up.

Good ones! And by extension, as Die Hard is a Christmas movie, we know that Jesus Christ also is a part of that universe, so maybe an Alien/Predator/Jesus sequel could be in the works…

Super nitpicking here.

If Blade Runner and Alien are set in the same universe, how do you explain Jones? Ripley mentioned feeding Jones, so we know he’s a real biological cat and not a robot duplicate.

But in Blade Runner it was established that animals other than humans have become almost extinct on Earth and the few that remain are high-end luxuries that only millionaires own. None of the crew members of the Nostromo could have afforded a cat.

Not terribly familiar with Blade Runner, but is it possible that Jones was some kind of canary in the mine? Not invested in this scenario, and not prepared to defend it, but it does explain how the “corporation” might have provided Jones.

Do android eat electric sheep?

Seriously (well, as seriously as a topic like this can be), wouldn’t replicants eat? They’re supposedly indistinguishable from humans - that’s the whole plot. Presumably, they also eat and digest and what have you.

And Bishop certainly seems a lot more like a goopy artificial bioform than an electromechanical robot when he gets ripped apart.

Jones could just be a replicant cat, which would be consistent with Blade Runner.

I came up with the theory that Glenda in the Wizard of Oz was using Dorothy as a Trump-like weapon to destroy the existing power structures of OZ, but I surely wasn’t the first to have this thought. But I did derive it myself! :stuck_out_tongue:

An offcat.
That being an official company cat to hunt and eat the mice and other critters that invariably get onto ships.

In the Blade Runner world, the company wouldn’t have been killing mice. Mice would have been valuable commodities.

You have a good point. I just rewatched the meal scene in Alien. It shows Ash eating alongside the rest of the crew.

Even if food just runs through Ash, and isn’t used for fuel, Mattel made baby-dolls for children that can do that in the early 70s. I would think that in order to “pass” as human, Ash would be built like that; otherwise, he’d be spotted right away. He’d probably also shower, and do other things that either weren’t strictly necessary, or were inefficient from an android POV, just to pass as human. I mean, he didn’t really need to be in a sleep-pod either, and he must have either had a dummy pod, or there was a HUGE, expensive waste of energy right there, just for the sake of his passing.

Escoffier himself could not find this bloody offcat!

My wife, Pepper Mill, not only came up with theory as well, she wrote a piece about it for the Doper’s online e-zine Teemings, which is now sadly defunct.

It came apart under gravitation stress. Or Aliens,

I think we have a strong late contender for nerdiest SDMB debate of 2020.