What is extremely common in TV or movies but almost never happens in real life?

Same with my dog. Only he barks; he’s not bilingual.

My late cat sat in our bedroom window for two and a half years before it finally dawned on him he could claw the screen open and get outside. I heard the noise he made getting out while I was sitting in the living room watching TV, but I didn’t know what it was until I went in the bedroom and saw the gaping hole in the window screen.

I spent the rest of the afternoon trying to catch him (I did eventually with the help of a high school kid on his way home), and had to pay my landlord $20 for the damage.

When I allowed the cat to sit in the (closed) window again, he tried clawing his way through the wooden frame. I finally put milk crates in the window to keep him from ever jumping up there again.

Huh. I’ve had lots of cars sit in windowsills and none ever tried to destroy the screen. I had one cat who was allowed outdoors who would jump onto the screen to let us know she wanted to be let in. She eventually destroyed that screen, but it wasn’t on purpose, and it wasn’t a large enough hole for her to get through. (The glass was often closed, so i guess making a hole wouldn’t have helped her.)

My cat never destroyed a screen to get out, but he did figure out how to open it. My house has the slider type windows; the screens are spring loaded, to remove them you pull the screen sideways and push it out. One evening I was in the living room watching TV, when I heard a noise from the bedroom. I went to investigate and the screen, and cat, were gone. He’d figured out that he could hook his claw in the screen and pull it sideways to release it. I was up until 3am trying to catch him.

When we first moved in, he also liked to sit in the kitchen window on the other side of the house. This didn’t last long though, because he had to jump over the sink to get to the sill. One day he didn’t make it, and he fell backwards to land on the faucet. That must have really hurt, because he never tried it again.

yeah, that’s why you best stick to german cars … they are fairly well behaved, albeit sometimes a tad boring …

I recommend citycars for your application

I don’t know, I once saw a movie about a Volkswagen that seemed to like to misbehave.

Of the three people sleeping in our house, only one leaves her door open. The second likes to sleep late and doesn’t want a cat waking him up, and I started closing my door after I found out I’m allergic to cats.

I’ve seen one bar fight that I’d call a brawl. It was in a biker bar, and it started with guys from two different groups exchanging words, then their buddies joining in. It didn’t involve most of the people in the bar, though, and those of us who weren’t in it mostly decamped to the parking lot shortly after it started (and then down the road before the cops came).

A woman walks around topless or in a shirt where you can clearly see through it to her breasts and she just angrily tells someone staring “They’re just breasts, get over it!”

At the bar we frequent, our group takes turns buying shots for each other - maybe 7 or 8 people. Different shots for different people, but tequila for most.

I bought a nice 12 year old scotch.

Her parents were not pleased.

Not to mention there is always just the one dude whose been retired for 5 years who for some reason is the only person in the entire special operations community qualified to lead a squad of rejects on this crazy mission!

There was an old story here about a small blimp attacking when a bedroom door was left open. I think it was a Scylla story.

Search for The horror of blimps.

Found it - The horror of blimps

One of the best stories ever! That and Master Wang-kKa’s tale of the snapping turtle. It’s called The Horror of Toobs.

[Moderating]

Do I even have to list all of the reasons why this is offensive?

Let’s please try to maintain at least a modicum of propriety, here.

The closest real-life parallel that I can think of, though it’s hardly as exciting as a special forces mission, is during the Y2K panic of the late 90s-- when a lot of old COBOL programmers had to be convinced to come out of retirement to fix all the legacy code.

And 20 years later when unemployment computers crashed it was the same problem. Old programs written in COBOL that were never updated.

I just wanted to rant about the trope of a character refusing pain relief to show how badass they are.

I can buy someone not caring about painkillers if it’s some minor procedure. And sometimes people are motivated not to use painkillers for other reasons (e.g. religious, because they believe bringing a baby into the world is an important event that they want to fully witness, etc)

But in TV / movies it’s some crazy painful procedure like an amputation and there is no obvious motivation for fully suffering the excruciating pain. Is it ok if the doctor also kicks the hero in the balls at the end, I mean if suddenly the character doesn’t care about pain now?

Before anyone points out that this is a motivation, what I meant is when it’s just to show us, the audience, how badass they are, not anyone in-world.