What is irony?

I don’t understand that. Unless you have an outdoor venue and no backup, in which case it’s your planning that sucks.

Rained on our wedding day. Made for great pictures.

That song totally gets irony right.

Where I work there are mats in front of all the outside doors. They all have safety slogans on them, like a picture of a clock and “time for safety”. I’m always tripping on them. If I tripped and broke my neck, would that be ironic?

Because then your guests are wet, the caterers are wet, you can’t take pictures outside…

I can’t define irony…but I know it when I see it!

This is it.

The song lyric had the words in the wrong order. It should have been “that isn’t ironic.”

Irony, though, is the opposite of wrinkly.

Not sure if this is irony or just black comedy, but there’s a scene in Caligula by Albert Camus where a courtier, hearing that said Emperor is deathly ill does the classic suck up move of “Oh, I would give my life for the Emperor to pull through.”

Caligula walks into the room, perfectly healthy and has him executed.

Well, no. But if you were a weatherman, and picked that day to have a outdoor wedding as you had predicted great weather- then yes.

Yes, being killed in an accident, the proximate cause of which was a safety device or safety-related propaganda, would indeed be ironic.

Irony is without question the single greatest discovery the human race ever made.

Isn’t it hyperbole?

Hyperbole is irony with exclamation points.

exclamation points are periods with tampons.

Periods are periods with tampons.

Irony is a little bird twittering in the meadow. Irony is a bouquet of pretty flowers, that smell bad!

furryman - I’m going to give my stock response to this sort of thing - cf. Star Wars Christmas Special, Crazy/Cryin’, and Rebecca Black.

Please…get over it.

The Star Wars Christmas Special came out at a time when Christmas specials were a big thing. George Lucas thought it’d be a nice tie-in to Empire Strikes Back. Didn’t work out. He shrugged, let it go, and never mentioned it again. I wouldn’t have heard about it all if the Star Wars fans didn’t insist on bringing it up, over and over and over. Hell, R.D. Reynolds…y’know, the wrestling guy…did an entire blow-by-blow article on it at Wrestlecrap! Look, it’s bad, I get it! I’ll gladly take your word on it! Just stop bringing it up!

As for Aerosmith, you have to understand that this is a band that’s been performing since the seventies As such, they’ve done many, many songs. Creatively, there’s only so much one group can do. And this is rock, where the basic instruments and structure are always pretty much the same. So, no, it’s not farfetched that out of the dozens of songs they’ve performed, two would sound kinda the same, and I certainly didn’t find it worthy of a whole freaking sketch on Mad TV or whatever the hell it was.

Rebecca Black did a music video and put it on YouTube. That’s it. She didn’t get a seven-figure recording contract, she didn’t go on the talk show circuit, she wasn’t plastered on fifteen radio stations, she didn’t make the cover of Rolling Stone. Mediocre singing performances on YouTube are a dime a gross. If you expect me to get into a screaming lather about her, you first have to tell me what the damn problem is.

You see, furryman, music, like any other art form, has a great deal of subjectivity. As such, it’s incumbent upon the performer to judge what works and what doesn’t. Performers are only human, so their judgment isn’t going to be perfect. Sometimes the idea takes off. Sometimes it falls flat. Nobody bats a thousand. And in the case of a commercial artist, there’s another factor: money. Their concern isn’t quality or worthy or beauty, it’s what sells. (Look up “Scott Pilgrim” on Cracked.com for a sobering look at this phenomenon.)

So getting all worked up over a pop singer’s occasional misfire really doesn’t make a lot of sense. But it’s even more fruitless in the case of alternative rock, where the whole POINT is to perform whatever they feel like and don’t give a damn about pop’s rules and conventions. Marcy Playground did a song about a ridiculous non sequitur the lead singer’s buddy made one night. Vertical Horizon did a bitter song that kinda-sorta-maybe implied a forsaken messiah figure without actually naming any well-known historical or mythological messiah. Pearl Jam did a song about…a jaded, snarky long-married couple, IIRC? All became huge, even career-defining hits. These rockers didn’t give a damn about accuracy and never had a reason to. They were trying to hit it big, which meant throwing things against the wall until they found something that stuck. And they did, and lo and behold, something did. What more need be said?

As for what “irony” is…go to Dictionary.com. Why do you even need to hear it from me? :slight_smile:

SDMB does nothing but expose the ignorance in all of us.

I’m not worked up about how “Isn’t it Ironic?” is totally wrong. If I was worried about the accuracy of every song I’ve ever heard I’d never get anything done. I was just wondering what people thought Irony was. While dictionaries are great places to look up facts I like to know what peoples opinions are.

I’m not really satisfied with any of the definitions of irony that I’ve seen.

So there is (1) and (3) here, which I agree with, and which are good. But the problem is with (2) which is not as clear as it could be. But I also don’t know what to suggest instead. People seem to feel like they know if something qualifies for (2), but they often disagree. As evidenced by this thread.