What is Jesus Christ's middle name?

Jesus H Christ! Cecil you had many significant historical explanations, but you ignored plain old bible verses, the source for many common phrases. H stands for Himself or at least thats what I had always heard. I did a word search on a King James Version web site and it kicked out a bunch of examples of this phrase. Luke 3:23 and Jesus himself began to be about 30, Luke 24:36 Jesus himself stood in the midst, John 4:2 Jesus himself… you get the idea. To bad it doesn’t stand for Harold

Welcome to the SDMB, and thank you for posting your comment.
Please include a link to Cecil’s column if it’s on the straight dope web site.
To include a link, it can be as simple as including the web page location in your post (make sure there is a space before and after the text of the URL).

Cecil’s column can be found on-line at this link:
Why do folks say “Jesus H. Christ”?

The column can also be found on pages 33-34 of Cecil Adams’ book “The Straight Dope”.

moderator, «Comments on Cecil’s Columns»

Jesus H. Christ’s middle name?

Haploid. :rolleyes:

Guess I shoulda read the column first.

“H stands for Himself or at least thats what I had always heard.”

More proof that God is actually Irish. 'Tis Himself! :slight_smile:

This is the only one that makes sense to me.
Necessary and sufficient.

Being Jewish he would have had as his last name his fathers first name; Joseph.
Thus his full name was Yeshua ben Yusif.
Middle name; ben (meaning “son of”)

Umm, wasn’t the whole big deal about Jesus that his father wasn’t Joseph?

I would think Yeshua ben Adonai was more accurate. Although, I’m sure his mother just called him late for dinner. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it would go to follow that in formal situations God should then be addressed as Mr. Christ as in: “Hello Mr. Christ. May Jesus come out and play?.” :wink:

Source: http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_033

Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name, thy kindom come, thy will be done on Earth, as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our tresspasses as we forgive those who trespassed against us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from Evil, Amen.

Last I checked (I’m Athiest, but took religion…), in this prayer, Father is referring to God, not Jesus. Therefore, although it’s a joke, Cecil would be calling God “Harold”, not Jesus “Harold…”

Have I, by some slight chance in hell caught Cecil?

Nah. Harold is God’s first name. Just like my Dad gave me his first name as my middle name, God used His first name as His son’s middle name. Jesus Harold Christ. I assume that, had Jesus had a son, He would have continued the tradition, naming His son Tyler Jesus Christ or Dylan Jesus Christ or whatever struck His fancy.

Rollins once speculated on the idea that it would be cool if it was Hitler. :smiley:

Also, as has sort of been mentioned by E d’Mann, Christ was not Jesus’s surname: it is just a title or term of respect, from the Greek meaning “anointed one”. So Jesus Christ as a name is more like “Alfred the Great”: “Jesus the Christ”, “Jesus the anointed”. So logically the H stands for Jesus’s surname, or is a corruption of “the”. On the other hand, it could be purely fictitious and stand for nothing whatsoever, but where’s the fun in that?

Well, if you want to be that boring about it, singular concepts (like God (the one-and-only god of monotheism), The Word (as in “In the beginning there was the Word…”), and The Christ) are preceded in Greek with a syllable that sounds like “ha” (I’m told it means “the”).

So obviously, this is a “Smoky the Bear” type riddle: “What’s Jesus ha-Christos’s middle name? Ha!”

I think it wouldn’t be “ha”, but ‘[symbol]o[/symbol], the masculine singular nominative of the definite article. That’s omicron with a rough breathing mark, transliterated “ho”, and pronounced more like “haw”.

Like I said, “ha.” Note that the REST of the name was also typed in the English manner.

I think I might just have the answer.

www.christonthecrapper.com/cgi-bin/seriesview.cgi?ser=theh