What is my ring?

I have a ring that I got at the Horshoe Curve in Altoona, PA. It is black and very shiney. It is almost iridescent, it is so shiney. It is solid all the way around. I think I was told it is a bi-product of coal. Does anybody know what it is?:confused:

Does it look anything like
this ?
OR this ?
If yes, then it is hematite.

“True Hematite, a black silvery stone, is quite heavy. It has known favor amongst royalty since Egyptian and Greek days. Named after the Greek “haima” for blood, it will streak red when rubbed against a harder substance. When faceted, known as a “black diamond”. Unlike Lodestone, Hematite is not magnetic.”

Read more details (some mythical) at http://www.luckygemstones.com/hematite-jewelry-black-shiny-stones.htm

I suspect it’s jet. Jet is a very hard type of coal that takes a good polish.

Here’s a description of jet from the same site that andy_fl linked to.

The reason I’d suspect it’s jet rather than hematite is because of your comment re coal.

It is definitely “hematite”. I must have gotten the coal thing because there was a lot of coal there; but there was a lot of iron ore, too.

Can I ask something off topic? . . . . or should I make a new topic?

How do you people make something blue and suddenly, you can go to some site. Also how can you make a website address blue and you can click on it and you can go there?

One more thing while I am on a role. How can you take something someone else has said and hightligh it in a sort of white box, to show it is a quote?

What Is vB Code?

You mean hyperlinks?

Here is a page that details how to use vBcodes in your posts.

Or click the ‘quote’ button immediately below this post and you’ll see how I constructed the above link.

Or (as opposed to using the quick reply box) click the ‘Post Reply’ button and you will be given a proper post editing screen with a button (with the legend ‘Http://’) that allows easy creation of links.