Solid diamond ring

Real or not real? I’m saying not real. There’s no cite on the website and it looks like somthing a teenager would make up.

My niece is sure it’s real, so I need some back up here.

Bet it would be a real chore to get resized.

Looks pretty real.

Thank you for the link. Now I have to go tell my neice I was wrong. She’ll love that.

Wouldn’t that be really fragile? I though diamonds were hard but really brittle.

So the only real question now is which tasteless Russian oligarch will buy it for his current wife?
Abramovich (I like…I buy!)showed the necessary dubious sense of style when purchasing this vanity bauble and even more so when splashing out on this equally useless and overpriced ornament.

So he’s got to be in the running

That was my thought. It couldn’t actually be worn, it probably comes ina sealed box, with the warninf “Do Not Drop!” :smiley:

Amazing gemstones news item:

I guess “a third of a millimeter” doesn’t sound as impressive as “several hundred micrometers”.

And I’m not sure why you’d use a laser beam inside of your water jet. It seems to me that the water would do things you wouldn’t want to the laser beam.

Quite a price drop there. The one in the OP was supposed to sell for $70 million or so, while this new one is expected to sell for only a quarter-million.

The catch is it’s guaranteed to be full of imperfections and even in the picture looks terrible. I completely don’t buy into the artificially inflated “rarity” and “value” of diamonds, but a 1 carat flawless diamond costs more than a flawed 2 carat one, just because it looks prettier or more accurately, the public is told it looks prettier. :smack:

Wouldn’t a single large diamond be exponentially more valuable than one with a hole cut in it?

I just finished reading Stoned by Aja Raden and she mentions this ring in her book. Most of the cost of a diamond isn’t the size but the amount of work into fashioning it into a sparkly object, also DeBeers brilliant marketing. Diamonds as a whole are not even remotely rare.

The value of diamonds, even very large ones, is driven almost entirely by marketing. You’ve heard of the one with the hole cut in it. You wouldn’t have heard of the one without the hole. Therefore, the one with the hole is better-marketed, and therefore more valuable.

In addition to what has been posted above, as I’ve posted, a big part of the artificial value of diamonds is the lack of imperfections. The center of the ring was probably full of major imperfections and the creator of the ring realized that could remove that section and make a ring out of the rest.

All diamonds, even relatively large ones, like the one used to make the ring aren’t rare. A one caret flawless diamond is highly likely to be a very small section of a much larger flawed diamond (think cutting away the bad parts of a block of cheese, with maybe only one corner still good). I can’t think of the names of the diamond, but several years ago a very large diamond was found, but it had some flaws close to the middle. There were debates that went on for months or possibly years, about whether they should create one large diamond with obvious (to the experts) imperfections in the middle or cleave it into parts and make smaller ones that were near flawless (cutting away the bad parts). In the end they made one large diamond and one or two smaller ones.

Link to a CNN story about this new diamond ring. Note that two rings are being talked about here; the one in the OP and the new one.

The catch (and the far lower cost) of the ring that Channing Idaho Banks posted about is from Diamond Foundry https://materialdistrict.com/article/carbon-neutral-diamond-ring/ which grows artificial diamonds which despite being nearly (if not actually) the same on a molecular leve as a real one, is worth far (in this case) far, far, far less. Compounded by the fact that it not a one-of-a-kind.

BTW, the ring is real, though the news is from 2012: https://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/fashion/diamond-ring-made-bling-150-carat-bauble-fetch-68m-article-1.1049818. Also note that this article, or any of the other articles I could find state whether the diamond is real (i.e. natural) or not. I suspect it’s real given the cost.

I figured the answer would be something like that.

The Cullinan Diamond is the most famous case.

More on DeBeers marketing… Link