What is the best song off of "The Beatles" (White Album/Disc 1)?

Previous polls (still active): Please Please Me, With the Beatles, A Hard Day’s Night, Beatles For Sale, Help!, Rubber Soul, Revolver, **Sgt. Pepper’s**, and Magical Mystery Tour/Yellow Submarine

This album is divided into two polls. But for this disc, there can be only one–which would you choose?

Other poll.

Best song? I went for my emotional favorite instead, and I’ll bet I’m the only one who votes for I Will. When the album came out my girlfriend and I decided that it was “our song”, and it still tugs at my heart every time I hear it.

Lots of good songs on this disk - Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da and Blackbird got serious consideration for my vote, and Back in the USSR, Piggies, Dear Prudence, Happiness is a Warm Gun, and I’m So Tired are high on my list…and I wouldn’t call any of the others bad, either.

But, in the end, I couldn’t not vote for While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

I almost voted for “I Will.” But “Guitar” still wins it for me.

I actually don’t care much for “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” - it loses something after repeated plays, IMO. Surprised I’m the only one (so far) who voted for “Happiness Is A Warm Gun”, which I consider John’s last great tour de force.

This could’ve been any one of many on this album, but I ultimately went with “I Will”, with the closest runners up being “Happiness Is a Warm Gun”, “I’m So Tired”, “Julia”, “Blackbird”, and “Dear Prudence”.

Easy one. Blackbird and While My Guitar Gently Weeps are excellent songs, and so is Julia, but I think Dear Prudence is better than all of them and it has a lot of meaning for me personally. Happiness is a Warm Gun is a successful experiment and the slow section is really gripping even though it’s not a personal favorite for me. So far we have 28 votes in this poll. 14 are for While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and the other 14 are spread out between eight other songs.

Martha My Dear! Sung poorly to every mangy canine companion since 197X. Maybe not the most impressive on the album, but definitely my favorite.

It was hard to pass up “Happiness is a Warm Gun” and “Why Don’t We Do It in the Road?” but I had to go with “Dear Prudence” as best song. My personal favorite from this disc is “Glass Onion” though…

Very tough choice between “Happiness is a Warm Gun,” “Dear Prudence,” and “While My Guitar Gently Weeps.” Ended up voting for “Guitar” because (a) it’s the best thing George ever wrote and (b) I adore Paul’s bass tone in that recording.

I voted for Dear Prudence, but on any other day I might’ve voted for While My Guitar Gently Weeps

No-brainer for me. Blackbird is one of my favorite Beatles songs, which means one of my favorite songs, period.

But this has some terrific songs on it, so much better than disc #2 it’s not even fair. Back in the USSR kicks ass, While My Guitar Gently Weeps is lovely and edgy (not a common combination!),I Will is a gem, Happiness… blows my mind and is my current earworm, Glass Onion has such a cool sinister vibe, and Ob-la-di, Martha and Piggies make me smile whenever I hear them.

Moving away from my favorites (going downhill in quality): I have to admit Dear Prudence doesn’t move me, though it’s pretty and I think the production is marvelous. Why Don’t We Do It features a stellar vocal performance though the song itself is blah. I’m So Tired feels like pointless filler, as do Rocky Raccoon and Don’t Pass Me By. The less said about Wild Honey Pie the better, and ditto to Bungalow Bill. (If I never hear that grating line from Yoko again I’ll be a happy woman.)

I almost picked Julia. I came very very close to going that way, I also briefly considered Dear Prudence, but in the end I had to go with the Eric Clapton guitar work putting this one over the edge.

I must confess - I snicker whenever I hear the lyrics to While My Guitar Gently Weeps -

and

both just clang in my ear and I can’t get past them…

I voted for Dear Prudence.

I agree. It’s a great song but those lines fall flat. And I’ve always found it odd that the guitar in that song doesn’t really weep. Clapton’s guitar does, but the rhythm guitar that drives the song chugs and churns in an agressive way I never associated with weeping.

‘Blackbird’ is my favourite Beatles song ever, and among the best ten songs I’ve ever heard.

Hey don’t forget:
I look at the world and I notice it’s turning.
With every mistake we must surely be learning.

That’s pretty blah too.

I don’t get the love for the song. If the guitar won’t stop crying, he should try playing “Sugar Sugar.”

I was the third to vote for it. IMHO, it’s Lennon’s best song as a member of the Beatles.

Hm. Must be something wrong with me. I like those lyrics from “While My Guitar Gently Weeps.” Oh well.

I voted for “Happiness is a Warm Gun.” But “Blackbird” and “I Will” are emotional favorites, and I love “Dear Prudence” and “Back in the USSR.”

And “Piggies.” And “Juila.” OH. And “I’m So Tired.”

It’s hard to narrow it down to one on this Disc.