What is the best sports team/individual nickname?

What great nickname sticks out in your mind? I have a few individual favorites…
[ul]
[li]Charlie Hustle - Pete Rose[/li][li]Mr. October - Reggie Jackson[/li][li]Iron Horse - Lou Gehrig[/li][li]The Sultan of Swat - Babe Ruth[/li][li]Elroy Hersh - Crazy Legs[/li][li]Jim Hunter - Catfish[/li][li]The Great One - Wayne Gretzky[/li][li]Bob Kelley - Battleship[/li][li]Jerome Bettis - The Bus[/li][li]Richard Petty - The King[/li][li]Karl Malone - The Mailman[/li][/ul]

As well as some team-specific nicknames:
[ul]
[li]The Purple People Eaters - Minnesota Vikings Defense[/li][li]The Steel Curtain - Pittsburgh Steelers Defense[/li][li]The Big Red Machine - Cincinnati Reds[/li][/ul]
You get the idea. What are some of your favorites?

I seemed to have switched the list format in the first post. Oh well.

Best Group/Team Nicknames:

Gashouse Gang (1930’s St. Louis Cardinals)

Whiz Kids (1950 Phillies)

Doomsday (the 1970s Dallas Cowboys’ Defense)

Orange Crush (the 1977 Denver Broncos)

Killer Bees (1982 Miami Dolphins Defense)

Over the Hill Gang (the 1970s Redskins under George Allen)

The Smurfs (1980s Redskins receivers)

The GAG Line (Jean Ratelle, Vic Hadfield & Rod Gilbert of the NY Rangers)

Individuals:

The Mad Bomber (Daryle Lamonica, Raiders Quarterback)

Dennis “Oil Can” Boyd (Red Sox pitcher)

“The People’s Cherce” (Brooklyn Dodger outfielder, Dixie Walker)

“Skoonj” (Carl Furillo, Dodger right fielder… short for “scungilli,” an Italian dish made from snails)

Back in the deadball era, they had a lot of great names. My personal favorite was Bob “Death to Flying Things” Ferguson.

Other good ones were Russ “The Mad Monk” Meyer, Tony “The Apollo of the Box” Mulane, Ed “The Only” Nolan.

Of course, we can’t forget Fred “Bonehead” Merkle. An outstanding player whose career will forever be defined by one stupid mistake. Similar, in many ways, to Bill Buckner (except that Merkle’s mistake happened in his rookie season).

Another odd one was The Rabbi of Swat. That was the nickname of Moses Solomon, a minor-league slugger who had a brief cup of coffee with the Giants in 1923 (and hit no homers in the majors).

Probably the worst nickname was Hugh “Losing Pitcher” Mulcahy. He pitched for the Phillies in the 30s and 40s, who ended up with a career record of 45-89.

Zev Steinhardt

Individuals:
[list]
[li]The Refrigerator-William Perry[/li][li]The Galloping ghost - Red Grange[/li][li]Michael “Air” Jordan (Says it all really)[/li][li]The Glide - Clyde Drexler[/li][li]Sweetness - Walter Payton[/li][li] “Shoeless” Joe Jackson[/li][li]CuJo - Curtis Joseph[/li][li] The Hammer - Hank Aaron[/li][li]The Georgia Peach - Ty Cobb[/li][li]“Mean” Joe Greene[/li]
Teams/Groups (In addition to those already mentioned)
[li] New York Sack Exchange- Jets early 80’s D line[/li][li] Purple Reign - U Washington’s 1984 defense[/li][li] Phi Slamma Jamma- U. Houston early 80’s basketball[/li] Murderer’s Row - 1927 Yankees

Individuals:
[list]
[li]The Refrigerator-William Perry[/li][li]The Galloping ghost - Red Grange[/li][li]Michael “Air” Jordan (Says it all really)[/li][li]The Glide - Clyde Drexler[/li][li]Sweetness - Walter Payton[/li][li] “Shoeless” Joe Jackson[/li][li]CuJo - Curtis Joseph[/li][li] The Hammer - Hank Aaron[/li][li]The Georgia Peach - Ty Cobb[/li][li]“Mean” Joe Greene[/li]
Teams/Groups (In addition to those already mentioned)
[li] New York Sack Exchange- Jets early 80’s D line[/li][li] Purple Reign - U Washington’s 1984 defense[/li][li] Phi Slamma Jamma- U. Houston early 80’s basketball[/li] Murderer’s Row - 1927 Yankees

Bill “Twin Killing” Mazeroski
“Mean Joe” Green
Willie “Pops” Stargell

Fan club - “Franco’s Italian Army”

I’ll give you two guesses where I’m from. :smiley:

Two East Midlands football (soccer) clubs:

Nottingham Forest FC - The tricky trees.

Derby County FC - The sheep shaggers. (For some reason Derby County fans don’t like that nickname.):stuck_out_tongue:

Does Mr. Armageddon from the Simpsons count?

Not necessarily the athletes, but I like the names:

Deon “Primetime” Sanders
Andre “Bad Moon” Rison
Dale Earnhart - “The Intimidator”

My favorites:

Shawn Bradley (of the Dallas Mavericks): Human Hypodermic Needle

Corliss Williamson (of the Detroit Pistons): The Big Nasty

Gianfranco “Gorgon” Zola
“One Size” Fitz Hall

Here in Dallas he is refered to as The Mantis.

Raghib “Rocket” Ismail
“Marvelous” Marvin Hagler
Hector “Macho” Camacho
swimmer Ian Thorpe, “the Thorpedo”
Ed “Too-Tall” Jones

A few more…

The French Connection (Gilbert Perreault, Richard Martin, Rene Robert), for the Buffalo Sabres in the 1970s.

The Minister of Defense (ordained minister Reggie White)

“Night Train” (Defensive back Dick Lane, the only NFL hall of famer born here in Austin)

Fred “the Chicken” Stanley (much beloved Yankees utility infielder of the 70s)

From the old ABA, there was Dr. J (Julius Erving) and the Iceman (George Gervin).

Remember the cool suits and hats that gave Walt Frazier the name “Clyde”?

Berman has lots and lots of baseball nicknames.

ESPN has a poll about them.

The Baseball page has a decent list too.

William Perry was known to his teammates as Mudslide, because that’s allegedly what his body resembled when he took his shirt off.

And as much as it pains me to say it, Stanford’s defensive line (?) in the late '60s was known as the Screaming Thunderchickens, or something like that. Go Bears!

I can’t believe noone has mentioned:

Earvin ‘Magic’ Johnson

Johnny “Blood” McNally, running back for the Packers in the 1930s. At least I’m pretty sure his last name was McNally, you rarely hear that part mentioned. I’m surprised there isn’t a comic book character named Johnny Blood.

Bone Fans of the Seattle Mariners know of who I speak. When Griffey Jr. played here he was known as “The Kid”. Guess middle age as finally caught up with him.

Dale Earnhardt was commonly known as “The Intimidator” to most fans as previously posted but to true NASCAR fans he was also known as Ironhead.