What is the first sentence from the book you are currently reading?

“A storm was coming to the Bighorn Mountains.”

Winterkill, by C.J. Box

“Telle Whitney started college–in 1973, at the University of Utah–without knowing what she wanted to be when she grew up.”

Brotopia: Breaking Up the Boys’ Club of Silicon Valley, by Emily Chang

I knelt in the snow in front of my great-great-great-great-grandfather’s gravestone, took my bristle brush and cleaned the surface, working the bristles deep into each engraved letter."

Backwater, by Joan Bauer

“An astonishing number of the people you know, probably including yourself, insist that they have to do a lot of economizing.”

Orchids on Your Budget or Live Smartly on What You Have, by Marjorie Hillis

“Michelangelo Osiris Leary Kusanagi-Jones had been drinking since fourteen hundred.”

Carnival by Elizabeth Bear

“Some years ago there was in the city of York a society of magicians.”

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, by Susanna Clarke

“When I finally caught up with Abraham Trahearne, he was drinking beer with an alcoholic bulldog named Fireball Roberts in a ramshackle joint just outside Sonoma, California, drinking the heart right out of a fine spring afternoon.”

The Last Good Kiss, James Crumley

Also:
“Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed.”

Ulysses, James Joyce

“Beyond the window, water slapped against the pilings of the wooden sidewalk along the canal. Dirk t’Larien looked up and saw a low black barge drift slowly past in the moonlight.”

Dying of the Light by George R.R. Martin

“In the late summer of that year we lived in a house in a village that looked across the river and the plain to the mountains.”

A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway

“They call it ‘getting red-pilled’.” — Red Pill, Blue Bill: How to Counteract the Conspiracy Theories that are Killing Us, by David Neiwert

The Inland Sea of Japan was still veiled in darkness when the anchorage at Hashirajima began to awaken.

Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway by Jonathan Parshall and Anthony Tully

“A woman waved me over to the computer she was using.”

I Work at a Public Library: A Collection of Crazy Stories from the Stacks, by Gina Sheridan

“The main thing to remember in autobiography, I have always thought, is not to let any damned modesty creep in to spoil the story.”

Mr. Campion: Criminologist, by Margery Allingham

“I’m standing at the centermost of the three contestant podiums, which are wider and deeper than they look on TV.”

Prisoner of Trebekistan: A Decade in Jeopardy! by Bob Harris