What is the first word that comes in your mind when hearing the word ISLAM?

“Christianity”, when I hear “Islam”… and vice versa.

Definition…

Main Entry: ji·had
Pronunciation: ji-'häd, chiefly British -'had
Function: noun
Etymology: Arabic jihAd
Date: 1869
1 : a holy war waged on behalf of Islam as a religious duty
2 : a crusade for a principle or belief

I know the term Jihad wasn’t created with a negative connotation attached to it, but neither was

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:-v5NjSdmq7QC:www.duke.edu/~bis/img/spam.gif

and look where they are now :slight_smile:

Aldebaran, I understand “holocaust” when hearing Jew, but could you elaborate on “mother” for Christian?

Thanks.

I supposed your not allowed to edit your posts here…hmm

Carnal K,

Yest, the prayer issue seems to make an impression on non Muslims.
And believe it or not, but I’m myself overwhelmed by this everytime I come back in my country or in an other Muslim nation, after being in a non Muslim one.
Just the same when I come in a nation with churches all over the place, the sound of the church bells is striking every time again.

These are definitely very different societies. But I think you need to travel and live between and in both of them to become that much aware of it as I am.

The first thing that goes through my mind is “aargh”.

Closely followed by “sigh”.

My late mother was Catholic. All her relatives were/ are Catholic as well.

alterego, your source for that incomplete and not even correct definition must be a very very Western one :). Can you name it?

Is that expressing anger, frustration or an other feeling?

This is interesting. Where does that come from?

Appreciate your explanation, Aldebaran, thanks.

Sorry alterego, you gave the link…

Webster???

Wait…I’m taking a look in my Webster’s comprehensive dictionary…

Well that is also not a great help…

Jihad

1. A religious war of Moslems against the enemies of their faith

2. Any war for a faith.
    For Webster that is very unsatisfying.

A. throws 1900 + paged Wester through the window… hits one of the dogs who isn’t supposed to be where he is… dog mad…attacks A…
Bye…

The first word that comes into my head? Oppression.

The first word that comes into my head when I hear Christian is hypocritical. The second is sanctimonious.

Julie

Why oppression?

I have a Taliban-shaped impression of Islam imprinted on my brain. Women in burqas, unable to lead lives that even approached (my) normalcy.

Throw in the extreme cases that seem to get reported about the Saudi laws and it all gets turned into “oppression” in my head.

To compare, I put oppression about third on Christianity.

Julie

Not so much a word, as an idea – “Part III of the whole Judaism/Christianity/Islamic Fairy Tale.”

Followed by “moronic Westerners who think ‘terrorists’.”

jsgodess,

Yes, the lunatic Taliban and their lunatic Wahabbi supporters. They became all of a sudden great stuff for the Media circus.

But did you never reflect on it that this couldn’t possibly be the daily situation of al those millions of Muslims worlwide?

rjung,

It is actually not part III.

Muslims believe that Al Qur’an is the restauration of the original.

Are there by accident things you like in the fairy tale?

You didn’t ask for my opinion about Islam. You asked for what word springs to my mind.

And there is nothing “moronic” about people having “terrorism” spring to their minds. Word associations needn’t have anything to do with conscious thought. Someone saying “terrorism” comes to mind is not accusing all Muslims of being terrorists. Just as my thinking “hypocritical” doesn’t accuse all Christians of being hypocrites.

Julie