What is the first word that comes in your mind when hearing the word ISLAM?

Terrorist.

I know I shouldn’t, but I’m being honest.

Cool. You have private caves? I want one.

To go further on the “terrorist” comment.

You could be more specific… As for example what you see as connection between that word and Islam.

Shalom.

They have the same semetic root (s-l-m). I can’t remember where I learned that. I think its’ the word-a-day listserv I’m on.

Honestly? Peace. (Don’t know why; maybe because I’ve seen “Islam is a religion of peace” so many times. My next word is Arabia.)

Arabia was mentioned twice, and Al Qur’an also.

So what do you picture as being part of Arabia, being part of Al Qur’an?

Islam is a religion of peace is a good remark, as it is in its core doctrine exactly that.

Which brings us to the enormous contradiction of seeing people who declare themselves to be Muslim commit mass murder on defenseless people.

What do you think can cause such impossibility (it is an impossibility for a good Muslim to kill defenseless people).

Well, there are a lot of Muslims in Arabia. Plus that whole Mecca thing.

Well, If you asked me a couple years ago, I probably would have said Mecca. Now I just think Islamic Fundamentalist. It’s sad really, that the actions of a few can pollute something as pure as a religion.

My grandmother taking me to the biggest mosque in London when I was 10. Amazing place.

Religion, name of one.

If you were trying to provoke me into saying “terrorist,” then you should have said something like:
Fucking nutcase scumbags who murder and claim it to be in the name of their religion or beliefs.

Interesting thread, Aldebaran. Good job posting it.

Out of curiosity, Aldebaran, what is the first word that comes to your mind when hearing the word CHRISTIAN? Or JEW?

honestly…

jihad

i guess thats from all the media attention heh

I’ll give you a list of words that comes to my mind when I hear “Islam:”

• Barbaric
  • Terrorist
  • Fanatical

And I thought this well before Sept 11, 2001.

The first thing that comes to Google’s mind when it hears Islam

Uh, religion.

Ok, so I haven’t got much of an imagination…

Mosque

They are so beautiful.

Christian: Mother.
Jew: holocaust.

My instinctive thoughts are usually of the guys I worked with at one of my first jobs. Since they were (almost) all from Somalia I usually don’t think of Arabia first off. In fact I kind of hate that the name “Hussein” is tainted now. The first Hussein I met was intelligent, reliable and good natured. Wish Saddam shared a name with that goof Yosuf.

And like DtC said, that most of them prayed five times a day. When you are around devout Muslims for a while that definately tends to stick out. :slight_smile:

Yes. Because they focus on the connotation that word has when it comes to defend the religion and the umma against agressors.

Do you know other meanings of the word?

Could you say where this connection you make comes from and “well before Sept. 11 2001”?