What is the longest-held current record in any sport?

No love for Cal Ripken, Jr.'s consecutive game streak?

I mean, that record is only a decade or two old, not even close to what this thread is talking about.

Now if it was a “record that will never be broken” thread then we can talk.

Agreed; I have to learn to read. Sorry.

Still was nice reliving the moment.

What I always find entertaining about “the streak” is what an odd choice of stat it is to be one of the most enduring and famous sports records of all time. There’s literally nothing relevant to baseball at all about getting at least one hit in each of consecutive games. The team would be far better overall with someone who got 5% more hits total, even if they were more clustered. And yet (particularly now that all the home run records are tainted by doping) the 56-game hit streak looms supreme in the annals of baseball stats. Why is it so much more important than, say, team winning streak? Or number of consecutive plate appearances getting on base? Or number of consecutive games scoring a run? Or hitting a home run?

DiMaggio’s streak and Ruth’s home run total may have come to seem important because the media reported them as such, because they were Yankees, and because they were well-liked guys whose accomplishments the fans wanted to see as important. The reverse can be true, too - not nearly as many people know Barry Bonds’ HR total as still know Ruth’s, because he’s a jerk and people want what he did to be as unimportant as possible.

But there’s no good, objective way to say what the important records really are, other than winning.

Considering that he did it back when the NFL had a 12 game season, Dick “Night Train” Lane’s record for interceptions in a season sure has lasted a long time.

It has been a little over 55 years since Glenn Hall set the record for consecutive games played by an NHL goalie. It will last until the end of time.

Harvey Haddix pitched 12 consecutive perfect innings in 1959, may not be the longest held today but it’s getting up there.

To a certain extent that’s true. But I still think The Streak is qualitatively different from most records. Most records are just taking a stat that’s intended to be a fairly directly a measure of an athlete’s contribution to their team, and then seeing who recorded the highest value of that stat. People didn’t initially start counting home-runs-per-season purely for purposes of trivia night, they did it to see who the best player was. But you would never say “ok, end of the season, let’s see who the best offensive threats in the National League are, to discuss who the Giants might want to trade for. OK, here’s my big spreadsheet of player stats. Yup, column one is RBIs. Column two is slugging average. And column three is length of longest hitting streak…”

I’m sure Alabama is furiously looking to schedule someone that could put this record in jeopardy.

Interception rates took a big dive when the NFL liberalized rules to favor the passing game in 1978 (recent years have 40% fewer int’s than before that season). Paul Krause’s career record is likely similarly safe-Rod Woodson was probably the last guy we’ll ever see with any real shot (he missed almost one full season in '95, came up 10 short).

True, and the current record by Mike Powell is even older than that! 26 1/2 years old.

Ah jeez, has it really been that long? I was an aspiring sophomore long jumper in 91 and remember it like it was…well, not yesterday…but…not really 26 yrs ago either.

Fun fact: Our high schools long jump record was also the longest held on the books until I broke it (5 times) in 93. And I think it still holds today, but I have no desire to go confirm that.

Now to sit on the couch with my hand down my pants, Al Bundy style.

And if Alabama is leading 220-0 with 10 seconds to go and are within field goal range, Saban would call time out to kick one more field goal to set the record.

**The Most Unbreakable Records in Sports **

According to ESPN, in another hundred years it should be one of these.

I’ll go with Cal Ripken’s consecutive game streak. I don’t think it will ever be broken no matter how long the game is played.

Note that the article is from 2016 and one of the records they name has already fallen (UConn).

I would say that Cy Young’s record is the least likely on that list to be broken. The others all require superhuman effort over a long period of time but given those requirements are doable within the current framework of the sport in question). Cy’s requires a fundamental change in the way the game is played today and for the foreseeable future (like MLB cutting roster size down to 13 players or something). I mean 30 starts a year seems to be a good average for a top ace. If he won every single game, he would need to play for OVER 17 seasons at that pace to beat the record. It’s not achievable without MLB cutting teams back to 1 or 2 starting pitchers. Hell, Cy himself wouldn’t come close. Even assuming a similar rate of wins but based on the current average of starts.

The oldest person to ever win the British Open (The Open) Golf Tournament was old Tom Morris who was 46 years and 102 days when he did it in 1867, 151 years ago. This record just slightly older than his son’s record as youngest ever winner set one year later.

A record almost beaten of course by Tom Watson at the age of 59 in 2009. He missed an 8ft putt for par on the last then lost in the playoff.

[quote=“Jasmine, post:55, topic:809400”]

**The Most Unbreakable Records in Sports **

Any list of that type that doesn’t include Sir Donald Bradman cannot be taken seriously.

Another future one will be held by Roger Federer.

He was in 10 straight Grand Slam finals. He owns the second place record of 8 as well.

Perhaps even more impressive or certainly equally so, he appeared in 23 consecutive semi-finals at Grand Slams as well. Almost 8 years.

And for those keeping track, it was 36(8+ years) consecutive quarter-final appearances. Some guys strive to make 1 or 2 in a career.

And he did not miss a single one for injury or any other reason.