What is the longest song title ever... maybe by Pink Floyd?

What is the longest song title you can think of.

My guess would be Pink Floyd’s “Several species of small fury animals gathered together in a cave and grooving with a pick” off the album “Pink Floyd Works”.

That album was put together from a bunch of Pink Floyd songs that were, I guess, leftovers and/or rejects from older albums.

Now that’s IF you wanna call that a song. Lets just say I’m not going on a mission to search for the meaning of that song… (Sid WAS pretty messed up).

If you haven’t heard it, I don’t suggest listening to it “straight”…

Think of it this way, the title IS a good description of the song.

If you have a longer song title, please post it, I’m just curious.

Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict
Yes, pink floyd, on UmmaGumma

A very weird song.

I do not recall the artist, but there was a country/western song with the title of: “Why did you believe me when I told you that I loved you, cause you know I’ve been a liar all my life”.

Longest song title I can think of (warning: obscure) is “I Had a Bad Experience with the C.I.A. and Now I’m Gonna Show You My Feminine Side” by the Swirling Eddies.

If you had asked about the longest album title, I’m guessing it would have to be that one by Fiona Apple

Crap, your song title is longer than mine.

I was kinda hoping it would be a weirder title, but on the “weird” scan, my song title is “gooder” than yours.

I don’t wanna be a loser, I wanna be a winner…

be a winner, don’t drink and drive, just drink lots then tie a rope on your buddy’s truck and hold on with your rollerblades and hope not to catch any gravel in the wheels and fall and scrape the skin off your arms and legs and become a human scab for a week.

“She Was Waitin’ For Her Mother At The Station In Torino And You Know I Love You Baby But It’s Getting Too Heavy To Laugh”

by Shawn Philips (bet none of you have heard of him!)

Way to make me feel inferior, i thought i had it.

thanks!

OK, you know what, I’m gonna write a song right now…

I’m gonna call it…

“Once I went to the National Guitar Summer Workshop in toronto and late at night I had to use the men’s room and when I thought I was done there was no toilet paper so it being late I thought I could just thought I’d hold my pants and go to the women’s washroom to find toilet paper and then I found some but instead of finishing the job there I was stupid and tried to get back to the men’s room with the toilet paper while holding my pants when an attractive young women walked in and seen me kinda half way crouched down holding my pants and a roll of toilet paper and THAT was the most embarasing moment of my life”

… and I’ll put it on my album named “Huh?”

Now beat THAT buddy!

Longest song title to chart on the Billboard Top 40 Singles was:

(Hey, Won’t You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song by B. J. Thomas.

<nitpicking>
Syd Barrett didn’t write Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict; Roger Waters did.
</nitpicking>

Anyway, if you don’t count it, as a “song” song, Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except for Me and My Monkey by the Beatles is up there.

Oh, and welcome to the boards, Freakazoid. Especially considering you sound like a Floydophile :slight_smile:

What about Does Your Chewing Gum Lose It’s Flavor on the Bedpost Overnight?

There’s The Flaming Lips’ song “What is the Light? (An untested hypothesis suggesting that the chemical [in our brains] by which we are able to experience the sensation of being in love is the same chemical that caused the “Big Bang” that was the birth of the accelerating universe)”.

That one may take some beating, I suppose.

Nope. Mine has 63 characters while yours has only 60.

Gads, I’m such a geek!

From this and several other music trivia sites.

Of course, I’m not sure how up-to-date most of those sites are.

When still performing as Tyranosaurous Rex, Marc Bolan released an album called My People Were Fair & Had Sky In Their Hair… But Now They’re Content to Wear Stars On Their Brows. Okay, it’s not a song title, but it’s apparently the longest album title ever listed on the official UK Top 40. The title is also the only one apparently too long for the All Music Guide database (www.allmusic.com), where it appears with the last three words missing.

On the Tangerine Dream album Stratosfear, there’s a track called 3am at the border of the marsh from okefenokee. Not the longest, but surely one of the longest and weirdest.

A quick Google hunt turned up this gem:

And also this:

In other languages, lengthy song titles are more common than in English. Here’s one example from a Scandinavian group called Penti: **“Som På En Skateboard - Güra Tricks Utan Kontroll - Det Kan Inte Sluta Väl”. **

Well, if you discount Hoagy, and you’re going to count all characters including spaces and parentheses like you just did, I’ll submit:

I’VE GOT TEARS IN MY EARS
(FROM LYIN’ ON MY BACK IN MY BED WHILE I CRY OVER YOU)

80, by your count.

Type O Negative has a song called “The Glorious Liberation of the People’s Technocratic Republic of Vinnland by the Combined Forces of the United Territories of Europa” = 113 characters, not counting spaces. Do I win? :smiley:

Very true. That is (technically) the longest title to hit number one. However, since other song titles are included in it, the official title for the “longest song” was “Stars on 45 - Medley.”

BJ Thomas had the longest Billboard Number One with the previously mentioned title which I am loath to reproduce at this moment.

However, I must admit I was wrong. The longest title on the Billboard Top 40 was in 1961 when Ray Stevens had a (minor) hit with Jeremiah Peabody’s Polyunsaturated Quick Dissolving Fast Acting Pleasant Tasting Green and Purple Pills.

Remember, I’m talking the Billboard Top 40 here. There are longer song titles that never charted - I was just trying to throw in an interesting slant to the conversation.

What about long album titles? Did Fiona Apple’s When a Pawn etc. ever make the Billboard charts.

Regretting what I said to you when you called me at 11:00 on Friday morning to tell me that 1:00 Friday afternoon you were gonna leave your office, go downstairs, hail a cab, to go out to the airport, to catch a plane, to go skiing in the Alps for two weeks. Not that I wanted to go with you; I wasn’t able to leave town, I’m not a very good skier, I couldn’t expect you to pay my way, but after going out with you for three years, I don’t like surprises (A Musical Apology)

by Christine Lavin

Usually just listed as “Regretting What I Said…

I was going to say “Elderly woman behind the counter in a small town”, but most of you obviously have me beat.