What is the origin of blah blah blah already?

I have only heard the expression here on the SDMB. As in *verb subject * already. Is this common grammar?

I’ve always heard it, if I’m understanding you correctly.

To a man going 20 miles per hour: Speed up, already!

To a dog that won’t fetch: Get the ball already!

To a kid that won’t hush: Enough with the crying, already!

It’s a phrase I’m not fond of.

I’m 35 and grew up in the north east. Heard it all my life. Would you whatever already. No idea of the origin but it’s been around a while.

I should say I am from the UK, so I am guessing it is a geographic thing. Still sounds strange though.

According to this Staff Report by Dex, the phrase “alright already” is a borrowing from Yiddish. The extension to the kind of phrase you are talking about is simple. This is a very common type of phrasing in New Yorkese.

Fuggedaboudit, awreddy!

The fact that you are a Courgette and not a Zucchini is the main reason. It’s just one of the more horrible Americanisms. It adds no meaning, just expresses a lack of patience.

Not to hijack, but reading through that article remindsd me of a quirky thing that I do when I’m utterly bored - say riding on the train. I’ll take sentences and run through them in my head, placing the emphasis on the different words and working out the different implications each time. Odd, I know.

Where abouts? It’s common here/.

:stuck_out_tongue:

It is not horrible, just strange to my ears.

Herts and Cambs. Not heard it myself GM.

–Translating for them thar Yanks –
Hertfordshire and Cambridgeshire two counties (like states only smaller :wink: ) in England.

Hmmm… Maybe it is an American-influenced Estuary English thing, after all.

Funny, I thought “like a state, only smaller” pretty well described England! :smiley:

We do have counties over here in the States, you know. :slight_smile:

We just have so much damn land over here that we have to group things by states, too. Believe me, after having to drive >700 miles (1,126 kilometers) to visit relatives, attend weddings, etc, I kind of wish that the US were a little smaller. But then, spending 12 hours behind the wheel of a car will do that to you.

That, and make you shout to the person driving 55 on the Interstate in front of you, “Speed up, already!”

English counties have somewhat more powers than American ones - often they’re the level which has responsibility for things like education, the police, etc. And they have a degree of tax-raising powers.

Nope. That’s the same here in US.

A city in the US controls its own schools, local taxes, police. But the county which surrounds that city(and many others) governs those that don’t live in a city. So the county has its schools, police, taxes, etc.