What is the origin of your SDMB name?

It’s based off my name. (I feel that if I get any clearer than that the only appropriate way to do so would be to link you to my books an amazon, which are under my actual name, but that would be shilling and I think that’s discouraged in this forum.)

I will get clearer about the 2, though, which is also based on my name. I’m not known as XXXXX the second; I’m quite literally referred to as XXXXX number two. (Though I typically write it “#II”) This started because I have the same name as my father, who is known as XXXXX number one. I believe this started because I actively rejected the appellation “junior”, so we just numbered ourselves instead.

Where this gets funny is that when my dad’s father moved in with us for a while, we called him XXXXX number three. Because it was the next number available, see. So the listing for grandfather, father, son was 3, 1, 2.

I don’t know, @seal_poopin would have been agreeably ambiguous.

Cal Meacham is the scientist-engineer hero of Raymond F. Jones’ novel This Island Earth (and of the short stories that preceded it). He was also the hero of the filmed version, played by the unbelievably-named Rex Reason. Rex died only a couple of years ago, still incredibly handsome and deep-voiced (he and Russell Johnson – “The Professor” from Gilligan’s Island – had a website where they sold memorabilia from their films (both played scientists in TIE. Johnson played a lot of scientists in his time – he was born to be The Professor).

I’m not a big fan of the film (which dumbs down Jones’ novel way too much), but love its imagery. I owned an 8 mm silent copy of it that I watched constantly, and longed to be a scientist-engineer myself. I also wanted to be tall, dark, and handsome with a deep voice. At least I got the “scientist-engineer” part down.

I used to be into cars – or at least, moreso than I am now – and I’ve always dreamed of owning a Lancia, specifically a Stratos. Since I have not a creative molecule in my body, I could think of nothing better. So, Lancia it was. I still think it’s kind of a stupid name for an internet handle, but whatever. I’ve been on this board for 13 years so I guess it’s here to stay.

Yes, exactly. The Maximus character in Gladiator is much the same, simply wishing to return to his farm after his long service to the state.

I was thinking tank man

Oh, Yeah! They are really awesome cars. I watched them in the Press On Regardless Rally the year it was an FIA event. I don’t know how a car that is waist high can drive over 8" logs…

Anyway I collect vintage electric kitchen mixers, hence, Mixdenny.

PS, I have over 125 of them, all different.

My name is taken from a poem by a “mad poet” in a science fiction novel by Jack Vance. It is a play on the Latin phrase timor mortis which means “fear of death.” I’m a huge fan of Vance and had just read that book when I signed up for this account.

Dallas Jones was the name of my late, great, 20 year old cat.

Mine is from the movie Lucky Number Slevin. According to the movie it means “bad dog” in Yiddish. On the day I signed up I was laughing about a joke I had made to a friend with the punch line “Bad dog!”. The two things just sort of joined in my head and here I am.

Ever since Star Wars first came out back in the Disco Age of Man, Darth Vader has been my Ultimate Coolest Most Baddest Ass Antihero EVER!

Now, I’ve been a Dad myself with kids in the house for 30 years, all of them(rightly so and damned proud of it) think I’m a dork and the final straw was when I got divorced a couple years ago, it was time for a change. And I had this little plushie Vader with bunny ears the youngest Vaderling gave me one easter.

That’s the nutshell version

I’ve not experienced a schism with Kenobi 65 yet though

It was my job back when I first got an email. A paintcharge is the head set painter in a theatre, sometimes they’re called charge artist, but paintcharge sounds better.

It’s my real initials/last name.

Many years ago I adopted three four-month-old orange tiger boys: Eddy, Teddy, and Freddy, who grew up to be VERY large cats and delightful personalities. I’ve tried to upload a photo of Ted but keep getting told I can’t do that.

for Father’s Day, I got this shirt:

Nothing exciting. I’m always towing something behind my truck. I almost never go on a trip without my boat or camper (or both) and relatives frequently ask “whatcha pullin this time?”

So “pullin” it was.

I used an old “What Is Your Star Wars Name” generator.

Mine’s pretty straightforward.

Dogs like me, and I like dogs.

I simply could not think of a name. I’ve always admired Nellie Bly so ended up using that, but it seems pretty audacious now.

My name was what My Daddy called me. I was a klutz and accident prone. He had a little ‘ditty’ he sang with ‘beckdawrek’ in it.

He put me in ballet very early trying to make me graceful. I could dance well but still couldn’t walk down a sidewalk without falling off the curb.

It has been my user name on anything I do online. All 3 things. :grin: