What is the scam here?

And there it is…the freight fee.

What if you reply with “I’m sure one of my freight trucks will be running your way, I’ll deliver it myself and only charge you $400.”

I would strongly suggest editing out that credit card number if it’s real.

How about getting that CC number out of the post.

I’ve reported all this to Mastercard. Number should be history.

Since you’re beyond the edit window, I still asked a mod to take the CC number out of the post.

Anyways, I’d either be interesting in seeing how he responds to either telling him you’d rather just ship it on your own truck (for a lower price) or tell him his total with tax is something really high, maybe $9855.25.

The next time this happens, train your op to use *69. That’s how I get callback numbers at the office where our corporate phone system doesn’t display CID.

Just be sure to use the same line the call came in on, and do it immediately after hanging up. If another call comes in first, you’ve lost the opportunity.

Of course it won’t work if your telephone service provider doesn’t have that function, but I think most (in USA) do.

Agreed - please remove the credit card number from the post above.

Forgive me for being otherwise naive, but isn’t the person who comes to pick up the widgets in on the scam, which is otherwise obvious from the poor English? So what happens when the police are waiting at your facility to nail the guy when he shows up for the widgets? That doesn’t make any sense to me… You’d have lots of advance warning to have them waiting for the pickup to bust the guy and take down at least the local element of the credit card theft ring. Sure, it might be an innocent third party who got suckered in, but at the very least, you’d want to remove them from the equation and find out about all the other ‘orders’ Mr. Nigerian had forwarded through that third party to alert the credit card companies and owners of the cards.

IME, *69 on a TDD call just shows the call coming from the relay service.

Stringing him along…

It sounds like nobody’s coming. The scammer asked for the cash to be wired to a Western Union location.

“Yeah, the charge went through but WU wouldn’t let me wire the money, so I just took the cash out of my bank account. I got it in my office…I’ll just hold on to it and you can stop by and pick it up”

“—I can just give it to the trucker when he gets the widgets”

“I just called the CC company and did a voice auth and they said it was a scam, the shut down the card and said they would be contacting the police and had me forward all of our emails…do you have a different CC I could use?”

His Nigerian accent is getting stronger. Also note the tiny hint of desperation.

That’s a good point. Ask him why he put the dollar sign on the other side of the number. Tell him you don’t do business with foreigners.

He doesn’t think the trucker can accept cash, I gotta wire the money. He emailed me a name and address to western union the money to…

Ask him for the name and address of the trucking company and tell him you’ll electronically transfer the money right to the company.

The scammer doesn’t care what the purchase price is, and he’s not sending someone pick up the merchandise. He’s looking to get the money sent via Western Union (which the victim pays up front, probably in cash). All the rest is part of the ruse to make the story look plausible. No one would even consider wiring $950 to a stranger over the phone. He’s hoping that it won’t seem so odd in the context of making a BIG sale and (purportedly) paying the shipper. Only there ain’t no sale and there ain’t no shipper. There’s just him waiting at the WU office umpteen hundred miles away to get the cash.

So, I sent Mastercard the information and got their reply.

Tell him that you need him to wire the money to you as well.

Is the other Western Union in the states? If it is, this might be the time to call police/fed or who ever would handle this type of case. Now that you can be reasonably assured that someone will be waiting at the other end for the transfer.

You can tell them that you ran the card and as soon as the money is transferred into your account tomorrow you’ll go down to WU and wire the money (to buy some time since they seem to be anxious). They’ll still be waiting tomorrow for you. If you contact the police and they want to move forward, and they want to do it sooner, they’ll take over. I’m sure if they (as you) tell the scammers they’re just going to wire the money now they won’t question it.
If the cops don’t care and you want to drop it all you have to do is ignore the emails from this point on.

Done.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Yep, the address I’m supposed to western union the money to is in Madisonville, KY 42431. I have a name and address.