What is the swill beer of your country?

Fosters in the U.S. is brewed in Canada.

My least favorite Finnish beer is without doubt Lapin Kulta (Gold of Lapland), affectionately known among locals as “Reindeer Piss”. Horrible, watery, smells the same going in one end as it does coming out the other. :slight_smile:

The swill beer here in Holland would be Amstel (although Heineken isn much better). And I would have to agree with Oettinger being the German swill beer, although Koenig Pilsener comes in a close second, and there are also the generic beers sold by Aldi and Lidl (the WalMarts of Germany).

I don’t know about the most common swill beer in all of America, but I think it does vary regionally by college campus. From parties I’ve been to at a few colleges, in Ohio, Milwaukee’s Best Light (Beast) seems to be the swill beer of University of Dayton and Ohio State. In Indiana, Keystone Light seems to be the swill beer of Purdue and IU. According to my friend John who goes to college in North Carolina, Pabst Blue Ribbon is the beer of choice there (cringes).

When I was in Korea in the early 70’s we used to swill the local (Oriental Breweries) OB Beer. As the saying went “It tasted like a cigarette butt was about to hit you in the lips.” And while we’re on the subject the Koreans had a nasty local hooch called Soju - it tasted like gasoline smelled.

Mr. Moto, what the hell was that godawful swill in Gaeta, Italy?

That stuff was undrinkable. I think I took two sips and went right to White Russians.

Robin

We don’t have Steeler out this way. The only thing we have on the West Coast that’s even worse than Molson or Labbat’s bilge is Kokanee. Word to the wise: Never trust a beer that’s named after a fish.

O’Keefe’s Extra Old Stock is arguably fouler-tasting, but its 6% alcohol by volume means that you have to drink mercifully less of it before you get to that magical place where you’d quaff the puddle from the bottom of a late-November jack-o’-lantern and like it.

I was actually going to say Labatt Blue for Canada. The last time I had any, just one beer made me feel so sick I refuse to ever touch that stuff again. I’d even rather drink Kokanee since it’s at least never made me sick.

The worst local beer I’ve ever seen or heard of was Texas Pride. I haven’t seen it since high school (late 70’s), but the stuff was extremely nasty. It came in a steel can and required a can opener (or a screwdriver) to open it since it didn’t have a pull tab. Once you got it opened, it made Old Milwaukee taste like Moet et Chandon. But you could get a case of it for $4.50.

The unwashed masses in Hong Kong drink locally produced San Miguel. My wife used to work at the plant and said that no one apart from her boss would touch the stuff. Strangely, the brew from the Phillipines, also available here, is pretty good.

No one mentioned Bud? Or have I just failed to decode a slang reference to it?

You probably had either Peroni or Moretti. I liked the Moretti a lot, myself. Which is good, since American beers were hard to find in Sicily outside of the enlisted club, and I spent two years there.

Nigerian Guinness is an experience not easily forgotten.

I assume you mean bad?

I had some lovely pints of Guinness in Namibia (where it is brewed, IIRC) and Botswana, better than some places at home. (although we had to convince the bar-staff to let us go behind the bar and pour it ourselves as their ‘technique’ was the same as for cider - set the glass down, flip the tap on and wait 'till it was full.)

What was so wrong with it?

Peroni and Moretti are both drinkable: Nastro Azzurro is the really nasty one.

I had mercifully forgotten that one.

As the OP, I’m not considering Bud. The King of Beers™ is bad, IMHO, but not what you buy when you can’t afford anything else. I’m thinking of sub-Bud/Miller/Coors and even sub-PBR beers; in the US, it would include Keystone, Natural Light, Utica Club, Natural Light, Busch, Lucky, Koch’s Golden Anniversary, Pearl, Old Style, Meister Brau, Old Milwaukee, Milwaukee’s Best, National Bohemian, Carling Black Label, Olympia, Hamm’s, Piels, and a fewe others. These are beers that don’t even try to pass themselves off as good; they’re the cheapest of the cheap, the type served at college keg parties or found in your grandfather’s refrigerator. It’s the beer you purchase when you and your friends are going through couch cushions and car ashtrays, scrounging whatever you can find so you can afford a measly 12-pack.

I can name one or two pretty apalling UK offerings.

Brickwoods - Sold around the Pompey area, ask any ex-matelot, there’s a saying,

When you drink too much, the bottom falls out of your world, when you drink Brickwoods…

Even the Brickwoods web page mentions that Sir John Harvey Jones said he thought it was appaling.
Mansfield bitter, went into a local boozer when the Cas Tigers had a home game on, being last in I was in a hurry to get my pint and down it before we carried the pub crawl onwards.
I had an inkling something was amiss when I asked for a pint of Mansfield bitter and the bargirl looked surprised., looking around I didn’t see anyone, not one other person with a pint of it, there was lager and lots of alcopops, not one bitter.
Took a cautious sip and discovered why, it would have been understandable if the beer was off, it wasn’t, its just awful.

NoRn iRoN - like it!

I’ve always had it as something like Nordn Irln.

Do people still go on about the constitutional crisis in Nordn Irln? Used to hear it on the news every day when I was growing up and it formed the basis of my later impression.

He’s right. When I was in college, the technique was to drink one or two good beers, then switch to PBR for the rest of the night. That makes it somewhat more bearable.

In college we made a trip to the Price Club or liquor Mart or something like that. There was a Greek beer on sale called Ephisis (only approximate spelling). Even to people whodrank Schmidt and Schlaeffer by the 12 pack, this stuff looked cheap.

It was the worst beer I’ve ever drunk in my life. Tasted like beer and soy sauce. Couldn’t finish the first 6 pack - much less the case. This was from a bunch of college kids that really wanted a beer and couldn’t afford to be throwing away any.

Eventually it all got thrown out. One can at a time from a visitor that didn’t realize: “hey, try some of this Greek beer” was a bad idea