What Is This Movie Trailer I Saw?

Mrs. Homie and I were at August: Osage County a few weeks back, and one of the trailers caught my eye.

It looks like a European art-house comedy, only in English. It’s about a luxury hotel, c. 1920, and involves the antics of a lecherous hotel concierge and his South Asian bellboy who he takes under his wing.

Is this ringing a bell for anyone? I’d like to put it on my Netflix queue.

Thanks!

Grand Budapest Hotel. Releases in US theaters in March.

Wow, that was quick! Thanks a bunch!!!

Are you kidding? I’m just delighted to have answered something before someone else on this board! I’ve actually clicked on threads to respond with an answer, only to find that one had arrived in that brief moment between my opening the thread and clicking ‘Reply’.

And no, I don’t read THAT slowly!

It intrigued you but you’ve already decided to not support it at the theater. This is why so many interesting, innovative, unusual and quirky movies “bomb” at the box office.

(Disclaimer: I’m a huge Wes Anderson fan. That “Netflix queue” crack cuts.)

I can guarantee you that it won’t show in Springfield. A European art-house comedy on a big screen in this one-horse town? Puh-lease.

I thought it looked like a parody of a Wes Anderson film, so it must be a Wes Anderson film. Nobody parodies Wes Anderson like Wes Anderson. :wink:

Not always true: :slight_smile:

That’s understandable. I feel for you. I used to live in a town like that.

Just FYI though, while this particular movie may be set in Europe, the director Wes Anderson is as American as they come, born in Houston. Most of his movies are set in America. He’s directed The Royal Tenenbaums, Moonrise Kingdom, Rushmore, The Life Aquatic, Bottle Rocket, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and The Darjeeling Limited (ok, that one’s set in India).

You know it’s a Wes Anderson film if everything is yellow, and composed in perfect symmetry.

Wes Anderson’s movies aren’t European art-house comedies. They’re more like quirky little American independent films, but they show at more theaters than most American independent films and always have lots of well-known actors. There’s a reasonable chance that this film may make it to your town. In particular, if you saw a trailer for it at a local theater, it will be showing at that theater. That’s the point of trailers.

I’m virtually certain that this isn’t true. Certainly, it can’t be true for any theater that only has one screen (they do still exist), and I’m pretty sure it doesn’t hold for the larger multiplexes.

I agree with this. It’s not unusual for Fox Searchlight to open a film in limited release, and then move to wide if it seems to be getting good reviews, box office, and word of mouth.

HeyHomie says in the OP that he saw a trailer of The Grand Budapest Hotel at the movie theater he was at. Movie theaters only show trailers of films that they will be eventually showing. Therefore The Grand Budapest Hotel will eventually be showing at that theater.

Do you have a cite for that? Because, again, I’m virtually certain that you’re wrong.

I concur that you are mistaken in this. They don’t decide at the local level which trailers to show, or it would not be possible for people to find out that the trailer for Giant Hit Movie Coming Next Summer is playing before Movie No One Would Ever Go See on Its Own Merits, and go see that movie just to watch the trailer, then walk out. It happens.

Ran out of edit window: http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/Movies/9811/20/star.wars.01/

From the link:

How do you think he feels about it now?

Glad he didn’t give his name, I suspect. :slight_smile:

You are completely wrong.