What is this movie?

Many, many years ago I saw a gothic romance movie. I only remember a couple things about it.

1. The hero was under a curse.
  2. The curse had somthing to do with a hangman’s noose on the palm of his hand.
  3. The man lived in a large house on an island. I think his family lived there as well.
  4. There was a portrait of the hero that spoke, this too had somethig to do with the curse.
  5. The house burnt down at the end of the movie ending the curse.
    Does anyone know the name of this movie?

PS: This WAS NOT a episode of “Dark Shadows”

It might be “The House of Usher”, with the burning house and family curse, but I’m not positive.

It was not “The Fall of the House of Usher.” That’s one of my favorite stories. BTW the house FELL down at the end of the story.

Need a little more to go on here… Do you remember who any of the actors were or what they looked like? And by many many years ago, gimme a ball park figure here. 10? 20? 50? This sounds vaugely familiar to me btw…

-Dani

If you haven’t already, I’d also suggest submitting it to IMDB. They have a regular feature on identifying movies.

I’m guessing it ran on TV around 1970. I don’t remember anything else about the movie except it was amazingly similar to Dark Shadows. (The house, the curse, the protrait and the family)

Could it be The Haunted Palace? I don’t remember the noose, but the painting does talk to Lon Chaney, Jr. (in the Igor role). The title claims it is a Poe story, but the writing credit is H.P. Lovecraft, so there’s the obligatory weird slimy thing from the dawn of time in the basement. And I’m pretty sure everything burns down at the end.

Or, it might be Dragonwyck - another Vincent Price film. I can’t vouch for it because I haven’t actually seen it - but it’s Gothic and there’s a curse involved. And for all I know, everything burns down at the end.

If neither of these work for you, you can search the IMDB for movies with “curse” in the plot - or you could start a thread in MPSIMS and ask “how many movies can you name where everything burns down at the end?” and see if any titles ring a bell. That might be fun - I can think of two more right now.