What is this speech impediment called?

I recently was checking out this AV Rant podcast:

The male host has a speech impediment which seems to be common in “nerdy” types. (I believe Daxflame from Youtube also has it.) I was a little amused that the guy has such a stereotypical voice for an AV nerd. (He refers to himself as a nerd.) It’s most apparent on the letter D. Words like “didn’t” don’t out very clearly. Does anyone know what this type of speech impediment is called?

I could barely hear anything amiss except maybe he does say “dint” for “didn’t”. I don’t think this is an impediment, rather some regionalism that I can’t place.

I don’t hear anything significant either. I agree with Cosmic Relief; you may be hearing a regionalism you’re not used to. Many of you guys south of the border sound a lot more “different” to me than the people in that recording. :slight_smile:

There is certainly something funny about his “d” pronunciation. Can’t say I’ve noticed it in any other speakers before, but then again I may not have noticed it with this guy if it hadn’t been pointed out.

He sounds like he has a very mild mid-Atlantic (Philly) accent. Very mild. He also has some of what I call a “young cohort” way of speaking, noticeable in the way he pronounces a long “o” sound. Seems like most people under 30 talk that way. Phone becomes something like “Pho-oon”.

My take on this guy is that he has an eccentricity (maybe that “youth cohort” thing) where some d’s and terminal t’s (as in get) are articulated as a glottal stop, but not consistently. I also noticed a couple of Tom Brokaw-style back-of-the-throat l’s, though not consistently (such as sometimes when he says “blend”). Not sure I would call any of this an impediment since I think he is perfectly capable of a more standard pronunciation when he thinks about it.

Yes, sometimes he sounds like he is missing the “d”.

A related question - what exactly is the origin/explanation for the stereotypical geek/fanboy speech pattern, examples being the nerd on Robot Chicken and if I recall correctly, Jon Stewart also does a similar thing? To me it kind of sounds like the cheeks are sucked in a little bit and saliva is collecting in front of the airflow, combined with a higher pitch.

Jerry Lewis?