What is this tune?

Funny…I was thinking a little earlier that a Mexican-style arrangement of Canon in D called Yo Quiero Pachelbel would be fun.

I went to a wedding Saturday, and I thought, "Really? Palcelbel? Haven’t we had enough of that?

Woa, I saw that guy in concert in a very small venue back in my college days. I was sitting like four feet away from him. I remember I liked him, but that’s all I remember.

-FrL-

I wondered about the name of the piece, which I only knew to mean law, or rule. That didn’t seem to fit, so I m-w’d it;

Okay. So, does the tune actually do that?
More fodder for the compost heap that is my mind. :smiley:

Yeah, his skill and enthusiasm are there. The arrangement is his. If he keeps that and smoothes it out with experience and developes his own style he’ll be really good. I liked the way he came in with the recording (cello?), then took it away.

Pretty much. 24 freaking times, IIRC. Although it’s probably more properly called a passacaglia rather than a canon. A passacaglia is characterized by a repeating, unchanging ground bass pattern over which themes or variations are played.

This is what drives a lot of musicians nuts about the piece, especially bass players. Endlessly repeating the same descending bassline of 7 or 8 notes can be boring as hell.

“Summer”
Keep it up, kiddo. :slight_smile:

Part of this melody is very similar to the part of the Burger King jingle that goes “Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders don’t upset us”.

Dang! I remember that jingle, I don’t remember how it goes.
Which melody? Canon or Summer?