What is your Emergency Funny?

The Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me “Not My Job” segment where singer Neko Case answers questions about Necco Wafers. (The game itself starts around the 6 minute mark, if you want to skip past the interview portion.)

According to Jonathan Agnew in his autobiography, it wasn’t inadvertent - he had heard it from a Sun journalist in the press box at the time of the incident, and mischievously chose to insert it in the close of play summary in the hope it might set Brian Johnston off. Of course, he never realised it would work a bit too well.

As you probably know, apparently Johnners was furious with himself afterwards for losing control to such an extent when live on air, but the public reaction soon won him over and it has of course cemented his legacy. Sadly I am slightly too young to have ever heard him commentate live but I’ve read his biography (written by his son shortly after his death) and he was clearly a marvellous character.

As for my answer to the OP, it’s far from highbrow, but people falling over (provided they are not badly hurt of course) is always funny.

Well - I stand corrected. Ignorance fought, as they say.

I remember hearing it live on the radio whilst driving. I remember having to pull the car over, because I was laughing so much. And I’m almost certain this memory is false. The incident is just so ingrained in the national psyche that I think false memories of it are inevitable.

j

In case of emergency I break glass for Ricky Gervais, John Mulaney and Sebastian Maniscalco.

The Irene Dunne/Cary Grant movie The Awful Truth. And I rewind the scene at the end where Irene Dunne pretends to be Cary Grant’s sister as many times as I want. Funniest scene in all cinema.

The Big Money Grip episode of Sanford and Son. Second place is the one where Lamont fights the traffic ticket.

I hadn’t seen it in a while so I just watched it again. I knew it was funny, but I forgot how funny. I laughed so hard I cried.

Yes John Mulaney. Especially his Law & Order stuff.

I also appreciated his bit about the New York Post (from memory)

"Everyone the New York Post covers is either an Angel or a Bozo.
Headline: Tiger Woods’ Wife Said, ‘Beat It, Bozo!’

First of all… No, she most certainly did not."

A timely bit which I can’t find right now is him talking to his Jewish girlfriend who assumed the Last Supper by DaVinci was the first Thanksgiving.

Hey, I grew up with the real Waldo Pepper. How do you fit in?

I’ve been watching episodes of 8 Out Of Ten Cats Does Countdown and The Big Fat Quiz over lunch. Both are reliably funny.

Sedagive:

“Oh, it doesn’t matter; it’s all lies anyway.”

Sorry, couldn’t resist. Anyhow, IIRC it just happened to be the movie that was playing in the background when I first posted and found myself shrugging up a name — which I guess means I could’ve just as easily been The Hunt Deerer or Zorro The Heterosexual Blade.

(Which, bringing this back around, reminds me that Zorro The Gay Blade counts.)

fyi, a friend of mine and I still use the actual Great Waldo Pepper’s catchphrase:

“Hello, good people!”

(we lament the fact that we’re not sporting an aviator’s helmet and a silk scarf to really give it that Robert Redford punch…)

Bob Menery. (Spot-on professional sportscaster voice, except with f-bombs)

This never fails to crack me up. The only thing better than the song* and the choreography is the shots of the audience’s reactions:

If I’m in a more mellow mood, I might put this clip on instead:

*I like to sing it while I’m doing the dishes. :slightly_smiling_face:

I hope this doesn’t ruin the funny, but there’s a fascinating deconstruction of Mel Brooks’ humor, and particularly this movie, that I feel compelled to share. The gist is that all of his choices were deliberate.

Yes Bob is hilarious on WILTY. Particularly when he has to name people.

Recently, B.J Novak’s One More Thing which contains some profoundly silly stuff. I open it at random and read a piece or two. There are probably lots of things that I haven’t got to yet.

The last one I read:

Confucius at Home

“I’m hungry,” said Confucius to a nearby servant. “Is there any food around? Some noodles, maybe?”

“CONFUCIUS SAY: BRING NOODLES!” shouted the servant to the cook.

“Hey, hey, please calm down,” said Confucius. “It’s just a question. Only if it’s convenient.”

“CONFUCIUS SAY: CALM DOWN!” shouted the servant to the rest of the household.

“Stop it, okay?” snapped Confucius. “Not everything is a thing.”

“CONFUCIUS SAY: NOT EVERYTHING IS A THING.”

Dammit, thought Confucius, and he was about to interrupt him again—but didn’t. That one sounded pretty good, he had to admit. And the one before wasn’t so bad, either, if interpreted in the right way.

“You get those last two?” Confucius whispered to his scribe, who was sitting in the corner. “ ‘Calm down,’ and the other one?”

The scribe nodded.

“I don’t know, maybe.” Confucius shrugged. “Not the noodles one, obviously.”

But if the scribe wanted to write those other two down … well, Confucius wasn’t going to stop him.

For me - maybe the marathon-dancing episode.

Comedy gold: (or the ‘photo session’ of him was good, too)

So, I’ll try to resist the list impulse, and keep to just two: :roll_eyes:

Carl Reiner was blisteringly on fire for this Dick Van Dyke Show segment - and Mary Tyler Moore couldn’t have been a more perfect, albeit simpering, foil for his Raging Hellfire! When I was a kid this’d reduce me to tears.

Born-in-nearby-Ladner Will Sasso’s nuanced tribute to Kenny Rogers:

(and sometimes a quick shot of the Grail rabbit followed by a chaser of Pete Serafinowicz taking on each Beatle can do it in a pinch - then all good to go again.)