What is your favorite love story movie?

The Jerk. It is, not kidding, one of my favorite love stories. When Bernadette Peters pulls out her trumpet during their lovely duet of Tonight You Belong To Me, you knew they were meant for each other.

Already mentioned Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Really shows how terrible and wonderful love can be.

For enduring love stories: Life Is Beautiful

and

The Notebook

I cried for days.

Truly Madly Deeply Juliet Stephenson, Alan Rickman and Michael Maloney. Alan Rickman dies and comes back. This is no Ghost clone. He’s back but he isn’t the perfect guardian angel. He’s always cold and complaining and spends his day with other deceased friends watching classic movies. The early scene in the psychiatrist’s office where she is sobbing out her grief, runny nose and all has me doing the same.

An Affair to Remember - Cary Grant, Deborah Kerr. Watch the final scene and tell me Grant can’t act.

You’ve Got Mail, a 1998 romcom written and directed by Nora Ephron and starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. She runs a small children’s bookstore (called The Shop Around The Corner) and he runs a giant chain of bookstores (called Fox Books, but think Barnes & Noble) that is putting her out of business. They meet via America Online, and have a correspondence entirely by email/online messaging. It’s based, of course on The Shop Around The Corner and the play by Miklós László on which that was based.) A big part of the story is about how small stores are dying, only to be replaced by giant chains.

One bit I liked; at one point Hanks’ character introduces her to two kids with whom he’s spending the day. “Annabel is my grandfather’s daughter and Matt is my father’s son. We are an American family.”

And that reminds me of IQ, a rom-com set in Princeton, New Jersey, starring Meg Ryan, Tim Robbins and Walter Matthau (as Albert Einstein).

Notorious.

Salaam-E-Ishq. (Love’s Sweet Salute)

I actually don’t like Western love stories. IMO, they jump into bed too quickly, and spend time fucking that should be spent on building up their romance. Since they can’t do that in Indian movies, they instead burst into song and spend plenty of time on the romance.

That’s not to say there aren’t a few. Up is good, as well as All of Me, and I’ve always had a soft spot for Grosse Pointe Blank.

Untamed Heart - Christian Slater & Marissa Tomei

Yes, yes, yes. “The sun ain’t gonna shine anymore (Jamie baby!)” I loved it from the beginning because it was so real with the snot running…no seriously.

I do not believe in love* so I’ll go with “Double Indemnity.”
*other than to/from child/sibling/parent

Forget Paris, with Billy Crystal and Debra Winger. Especially the scenes at the fertility clinic, and the waiter’s dialog in the restaurant scenes.

I also like Neil Simon’s comedies The Goodbye Girl and Chapter Two

The one I always come back to is Ever After.

Don Jon was pretty refreshing for me, but it’s a movie you either love or hate.

One of those movies that absolutely, positively **could not **be made today in the era of cell phones:

*"Hello, darling! Where are you? Are you coming? * [Pause] * What’s that? You’ve been in a street accident? Your legs were crushed … and you’re now crippled for life? ***[Long pause] ** Sorry darling, you’re breaking up. I’ll call you tomorrow. What? Yes, yes, of course I love you. Sorry, gotta run! Bye!" [Click!] :frowning:

Has no one yet mentioned Roman Holiday with Audrey Hepburn, Gregory Peck, and Eddie Albert? Another romantic movie for people who don’t particularly care for romantic movies! :o

There are three love stories on my top ten movie list:

Much Ado About Nothing (1993) with Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson (and Robert Sean Leonard and Kate Beckinsale). There is no romance like a Shakespeare romance…

Persuasion (1995) with Ciaran Hinds and Amanda Root. …unless it’s a Jane Austen romance.

Big Eden. An old-fashioned slow-build romance that could have been written by Shakespeare or Jane Austen if either of them could have written a gay love story.

Excellent pick.

It’s usually listed as a horror, but I’ve always found The Dead Zone (1983) to be an incredibly moving love story. The scene where he’s tutoring the wee boy and Sarah appears unexpectedly at his door… Christopher Walken at his best, and tears me up every time.

Big fan of Brokeback Mountain too, ever since reading the original short story back in 1998.

I guess I don’t like happy endings either.

Not a big fan of RomComs, but I thought It Happened One Night was pretty good.

Another vote for Wings of Desire - one of my favorite films, love story or otherwise.

Excellent choice! Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert… :o

The Philadelphia Story is another good one: Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart … they don’t make 'em like that any more!

“I was looking [del]up[/del] at my phone”

Ditto for Ever After and Much Ado About Nothing. How could I forget these!