What is your favorite love story movie?

It may seem strange to you, but my favorite love story movie is As Good as it Gets (1997)

It stars Jack Nicholson, Helen Hunt and Greg Kinnear and starts out with both Nicholson and Hunt living miserable lives for different reasons. Eventually, it dawns on them that in order to be happy, what they need most is each other.

I know there are much more popular films and maybe even films with better stories. But no other film has ever gotten to me like this one did.

The Secret In Their Eyes. (original 2009 film)

It could happen to you. Where stand up guy cop promises waitress half his lotto winnings as a tip. And he wins. They get rich, problems follow, they get screwed out of the money, then fall in love and wind up with everything!

The only ones I can remember seeing more than once are When Harry Met Sally, Annie Hall, and Forgetting Sarah Marshall. So one of them.

God, I hated that movie.

My choice would be The Princess Bride

Four Weddings and a Funeral.

(or)

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Not a fan of “happily ever after” love stories, so I’d choose Brokeback Mountain.

Aurther from the 80’s with Dudley Moore.
I like comedy love stories.

Rouge…a very bittersweet love story from Hong Kong. The Anita Mui and Leslie Chung (both deceased way too young) star.

L.A. Story – Steve Martin and Victoria Tennant as the only two people in the world who get each other’s jokes.

Wings of Desire.

Whisper of the Heart

Love Actually is one of my favorites.

Heaven Can Wait

Astute choice. It was a charming film.

I also like Love Actually a lot; the backlash against it is a sad commentary on how we no longer believe in romance.

Favorite? Hard to say. The ones I think of offhand are those where the love story is not the main focus of the plot (e.g, Casablanca, Singin’ in the Rain). The Thin Man is great for its portrayal of a long-term loving relationship, but that’s only a small part of it.

I guess I’ll go with Annie Hall.

I always liked Sense and Sendibility (Ang Lee). I found Elinor to be quite relatable emotionally for me. Also, aside from that, it’s just a well put together movie. Great cast.

I only saw it one time, back when it came out on DVD but I recall really liking Once.

I’m not romantic and I loathe rom-coms. But I love ‘Waterloo Bridge’, ‘La Belle et La Bete’, and ‘Pride and Prejudice’. These are the versions all made in the 40’s and are splendid movies I never get tired of.

I’ve never seen a good love story in a movie, and I’m not convinced it’s possible. A good love story takes a lot of time. In a two-hour movie, you have room for infatuation, or lust, or an already-established love, but you don’t have room for the whole messy complicated process.

Now, a TV show, over the course of a few seasons, yeah, that’s doable. The best example that comes to mind is Adama and Roslin from Battlestar Galactica.

A Very Long Engagement