Recommend a Classic Romance Movie -- Need Answer Sort of Fast

I am thinking of buying my wife several classic ( pre- 1960) Romance movies for Valentine’s Day. Like the typical incompetent guy, it is the last minute and I probably have to place the order in the next couple of days in order to get them here by the 14th. Help!

Casablanca.

You lost me at pre-1960. Does it have to be pre-1960.

Kudos for planning ahead. :smiley:

Brief Encounter is a true classic from David Lean

The Quiet Man (1952)

Sabrina
Holiday
Bringing Up Baby
The Philadelphia Story
(I’m seeing a theme here)
Wuthering Heights

Well, the idea is for older movies. The vision I have is for “timeless love”, which hopefully will be implied from the older pictures. It would be great to find something well-acted and written… but not overly well known now.

I am struggling to describe what I mean. My wife enjoys romance novels and Lifetime movies ( though she would never admit this to her peers).

Still, quality is important. The plot and acting should have received some critical acclaim. Thanks.

Well if it’s True Love you’re after, go no further than The Princess Bride.

An Affair to Remember with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr, 1957

Is a happy ending required? Several movies mentioned here are classics but awfully sad.

Quality is most important, but I hope for happiness. Love winning out at the end is kind of a nice message, even if in real life that is often not the case.

It Happened One Night, with Claudetted Colbert and Clark Gable. It’s not all romance, but it has two people falling in love and being happy in the end. One of only three movies ever to win the top five Oscars. Best Picture, Best Actor and Actress, Best Dirctor and Best Producer. Lots of humor.

Notorious (the 1946 Hitchcock film, not the Biggie Smalls biopic).

It’s terribly romantic but also a great suspense film, thereby avoiding the ‘chick flick’ label.

Rear Window and To Catch a Thief.

Rawr.

If it’s “timeless love,” you’re looking for, what about Portrait of Jennie? Artist Joseph Cotton meets the spirit of a young girl from the past who should become his true love as a grown woman, only something happened to her before they met in life. Can he change that fate?

One of my absolute favorites. From 1924,“Girl Shy”

This is a remake of Love Affair with Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer. Get the original.

Best Picture and “Best Producer” are the same award, btw. I think you meant to write “Best Screenplay” (either original or adapted)…

The Shop Around The Corner (1940) with Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullivan.

The Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan rom-com You’ve Got Mail, while not a remake, cribs some elements from it.

Roman Holiday.