What is your favorite new IP in video games created in the last 10 years?

So that leaves out Zelda and Fallout and what not.

I’m talking only new IP from the last 10 years.

For me God of War is a serious contender. All of the games have been awesome and I’m stoked for the upcoming GOW3.

Mass Effect has been good, though I haven’t played the new one yet.

I’m betting I will see Bioshock listed in here several times.

Please to explain: IP.

My favourite is 255.255.255.000

Intellectual Property, I’m guessing.

I’m guessing he’s using it to refer to the game worlds / milieus, or maybe just the game series themselves.

Yes, that’s what I meant. Sorry.

There’s no place like 127.0.0.1

Off the top of my head, Halo.

Okami will be, if the sequel is decent.

I think for me it’s gotta be Mass Effect. Neverwinter nights would also be there, but it’s apparently going down the crapper - Looks like Atari is making it into an MMO.

I also will heartily recommend Mass Effect. The world is accessible, familiar and at the same time different enough from Star Trek and other established mainstream science-sic/opera

I am not feeling so stellar about Dragon Age, but it is a good alternative if you want something between D&D and Warhammer.

Has Devil May Cry been out for more than 10 years? Anyway, I would give its spiritual descendant Bayonetta a vote too.

Do you count Portal as part of the Half-Life universe, or as its own? The storylines are at least nominally connected, but it’s a radically different game.

Word.

Hopefully The Last Guardian will wrap it up for the Ico/SotC world.

Have to give another vote to Mass Effect here. Crowbar’s right, the universe is so accessible, but intriguing at the same time. Bioware really outdid themselves with the world building on this one. The level of complexity and depth to it is staggering and the games themselves have been phenomenally well realized.

Honorable Mentions

Ratchet and Clank
Assassin’s Creed
Neverwinter Nights (More the campaign building tools. A lot of the fan made modules are incredible. No other game I can think of invites the kind of fan creativity that this series does.)
God of War

Also, KOTOR is the only really good thing that Star Wars resulted in over the last 10 years. If that counts than add that in there to.

Portal by a long shot.

I must confess a certain fondness for Assassin’s Creed IP. The first one was a bit weird and abrupt, but I’m absolutely loving the whole “Da Vinci Code” feel of the second one, which in retrospect adds a whole new depth to the first.
Also, I like stabbing people in the eyesocket :).

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
[bla bla bla bla RABBIDS]

Bioshock was my first thought–what a great world!

Portal was my second thought. While the world wasn’t as good, it was the most purely entertaining game I’ve played in forever, and there’s a key sequence in which the game changes radically, and which did the best job a game has ever done of blurring the line between deciding-as-a-gamer and deciding-as-a-character (I don’t know how else to put it without spoiling this utter gem of a moment).

I’m currently playing through the first Mass Effect for the first time, and I gotta say, I’m loving the hell out of it. The equipment and character levelling are actually not so much fun to me compared to other systems (e.g., Dragon Age, Baldur’s Gate, WoW, Diablo), but surprisingly, I don’t care so much about that: I love the dialogue, and I love the feel of the cosmos, and I love nerding out over reading the geological descriptions of every stinkin little planet I come to.

For an entire series, definitely Ratchet and Clank. I might pick something different for stand-alone games, but I just loved almost all (not a fan of Deadlocked) of the Ratchet and Clank games.

I’m thinking probably Bioshock or Deus Ex.

The thing is, Bioshock doesn’t have a lot of room for sequels (I think a prequel or two would be quite possible, though) and Deus Ex apparently has a third game coming, nothing’s been heard of it in two years so I’ll believe it when I see it.