What is your favourite film provoking these emotions…?

This thread, closable if redundant, asks which films you like that most strongly provoke the following senses and emotions? Category is otherwise irrelevant.

The senses and emotions are anger, sadness, pity or empathy, laughter, desperation, claustrophobia, giddiness or joie de vivre, surprise and disgust. Add any others you see fit.

For surprise it’s the classic The Sting. I truly was fooled by that movie, seeing it in the theater when it came out. When Redford and Newman were shot I was pissed, because I’d liked the movie so much, up until that point. To have it end like that was a downer. Then of course there’s the big reveal, and you think back to all the clues as to what had been happening. That movie was one of the best.

You left out the surprise just before that, where the nice lady who worked at the lunch counter was an assassin.

I don’t generally look for movies that provoke a lot of the listed emotions, because I perceive them as negative. For sadness, just because it really struck home with me at the time and there has been nothing to replace it since, a British film from 1969 called Run Wild, Run Free. About a kid and his parents and a sort of surrogate parent.

I think my favorite surprise film is The Other, from the 70’s, written by Tom Tryon, a B-list actor. It had the incomparable Uta Hagen in it, but that’s not the source of the surprise. No spoilers in case you haven’t seen it.

I’ve laughed at lots of films over the years, but my favorite funny sequence from a film, I think, is the whole ending of Foul Play (Goldie Hawn, Chevy Chase) starting from where the chase scene starts, all the way to the end. I think because the San Francisco locations are familiar, and the Gilbert and Sullivan is very familiar, and the old Japanese couple in the limo, it’s just about perfect.

What I most hope to get from a movie is something like being a witness to a truly great person’s life and actions in difficult circumstances. I guess the relevant emotions are respect and admiration. I get that from A Man For All Seasons. Brilliantly written by Robert Bolt, brilliantly acted by Paul Scofield (and everyone else in the stellar cast), it is the story of a man standing up for his principles (even though, in real life, I loathe his principles).

You may draw what conclusions you want from the fact that all these movies are from the 60’s and 70’s.

I would also like to add “hope”.

All of these emotions are provoked (in various amounts) in What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?.

For surprise, or more to the point, a jump scare, the one that shook me up the most was the ending of Carrie. Of course, horror fans will sniff in derision because jump scares like that are a film cliche now. But they weren’t when Carrie first came out. I spent a full ten minutes hanging over the seat in front of me and gasping after the credits.

Anger? I have to say Michael Moore’s Roger and Me got me over to the left real quick. The scenes of a family being evicted during the Christmas holidays juxtaposed with GM fat cat Roger Smith puling out his CEO Christmas Carol Speech filled me a laughing rage that was disturbing.

For sadness, a Walt Disney nature movie from the early Seventies which title I’ve forgotten tore me up good. It was about two puma siblings who grow up together romping around as brother and sister. Until brother raids a chicken coop, and has hunters and dogs after him. The sister’s footsteps cross her brother’s trail, and the dogs and hunters are soon after her. She makes a spectacular leap across a gorge that just misses, and she falls to the bottom of the canyon. As she lays there dying, her brother comes and starts licking her behind the ears. And I just lost it. Great kiddie flick, Disney. And what’s the obsession with characters falling. to their deaths?

I have to get home now. More later.

Okay, laughter. While it’s not my favorite comedy, one movie that had me laughing uproariously like I had not done for ages was South Park: Bigger; Longer & Uncut. My ribs started aching during Uncle Fucker, and the laughs did not stop throughout the rest of the movie. I almost needed traction after that one.

Empathy? I remember one storyline from The Joy Luck Club that was one of the few times a film made me cry. It’s the scene where Waverly is arguing with her mother at a beauty salon before her wedding. In the story, Waverly was once a child prodigy chess master who got embarrassed at her mom’s boasting about her. She told her mom she was giving up chess. Things are tense around the house for awhile until Waverly finally breaks and tells her mom she’ll start playing chess again.
Waverly’s mom is not mollified. She tells her daughter that it won’t be easy for her. And sure enough, Waverly finds she can’t play chess like she used to. So her great talent was ruined. That hit home for me because I was in the middle of a long dry spell with my writing. I didn’t think I could write anymore. So I started crying for myself and Waverly’s lost talents.

The Thing for paranoia