What is your quintessential Your Town movie?

For me it’s The Taking of Pelham One Two Three. The original-- I’ve never seen the remake. It’s held up very well over the years. Oh sure the clothes, hair and trains are different but the people-- those are my people.
What movie does that for you.

Vertigo - a city full of history, mystery, architecture, sadness, and beauty.

Gone With the Wind, for when I lived in Atlanta.

The Alamo for the current locale.

The Blues Brothers. It shows the real Chicago. None of that Ferris Beuller crap.

Ooh this is a toughie. Kind of an embarrassment of riches to choose from when it comes to NY.

Off the top of my head, I’d pick Moonstruck, since it offers a variety – both the neighborhoody feel of NYC’s boroughs as well as the sophistication / culture of Lincoln Center.

The quintessential New York (City) movie is Rear Window. The original The Taking of Pelham One Two Three was another good NYC film, along with The French Connection and Marathon Man (the high school I attended shared a midtown location with many of the scenes in the latter two movies).

Well part of the Pelican Brief was shot in our offices, but other than that…

I would have to go for In the Line of Fire for the Lincoln Memorial shots. There are so many other more “D.C.” movies, but that one sticks in my mind.

The Outsiders and Tex were both written about and filmed around Tulsa, OK.

Small town in the Midwest, grew up in the 50’s – Picnic. I know those people.

Big Fish- it was filmed in the small Alabama town where I went to church and to high school (including some of the Texas scenes) and I recognize all of the streets and buildings and a few of the extras.

Before that The Grass Harp, filmed in the same town and even used the interior of the church I went to as a child and the barber shop where I got my hair cut (though Roddy McDowell wasn’t my barber). The movie Big Fish is much better though.

Edward Scissorhands. Except for the whole spooky mansion on a mountain, of which my town has neither.

Not quite in town (well Miles’s apartment is actually in Santa Barbara), but Sideways was shot in the wine country around Santa Barbara.

St. Elmo’s fire? i can’t think of a movie set in DC that isn’t political or a disaster movie.

Most classic westerns show how the San Fernando Valley is. :wink:

But approximately four trillion movies have been filmed in L.A. so I guess you can pick any one of them.

Wisconsin Death Trip

Rocky. Those are my people…for better or worse.

Gotta go with Dirty Harry, since you can see my house when the camera pulls backs while Harry is stepping on Scorpio’s leg wound.

But I didn’t grow up there, so if we define “your town” that way, I’d go with Escape From New York, which made great use of run-down St. Louis landmarks, (Union Station, Chain of Rocks Bridge), which have since been rennovated. Civic pride!

I don’t mean a movie that’s set in your town or filmed in your town but a movie that you watch and go ‘yeah, they sure got My Town right’.

Then Friday Night Lights. I played football in small town Oklahoma, and that movie NAILS it all.

Probably Welcome to Collinwood.