What kind of name is ''Korpita?''

I met someone recently with this name. I’m going to guess something Slavic.

*Korpita…
I’ve just met someone named Korpita…
And suddenly that name
Will never be the same
To me…
Korpita…
I’ve just met someone named Korpita…
And suddenly I’ve found
How wonderful a sound
Can be…

Korpita!

Say it loud and Cacophony’s blaring
Say it soft and it’s almost like swearing

Korpita…
I’ll never stop saying

Korpitaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

:smiley:

Now that song’s stuck in my head . . .

*The most horrible sound I ever heard
Korpita
Korpita, Korpita, Korpita

All the horrible sounds in the world in a single word
Korpita

*Korpita…
Korpita…
Korpita,

She took my money and ran Transylvania.*

(To address the OP, it sounds Hungarian-Roumanian to me, but I’m not an expert)

You need to get together with Argent Towers :wink:

IMHO it seems a bit short and short of a ‘ski/a’ sound at the end to be Polish, Russian, Ukranian etc, it would need an ‘ic’ to be Serb or Croatian so I’m not sure ‘Slavic’ fits the bill.

I wondered who might be called “Page Setup” till I realised the address on the package was actually just a note for the recipient so they knew what to do with the contents :smack:

Sounds like it could also be Greek.

I don’t think it’s Greek. I’ve never heared that name and usually Greek last names (when transliterated to English) end with the letter ‘s’.

Korpita is a Finnish name. Click the link, and do a Find on “Korpita”.

I only find one Korpita. Checkin ellisiland.org, there are 9 Korpitas on file, the majority of them from Hungary, one from Poland, one from then-Austria now-Poland, and one from Germany. However, I am not familiar with Korpita being either a Hungarian or a Polish name. Checking the German white pages reveals 0 Korpitas. I can’t find any Finnish white pages online, however I checked the Swedish and Norweigian neighbors, and no Korpitas there, either.

It seems to be a pretty rare name–perhaps it’s been corrupted along the way? Or do we know for sure that it’s Finnish?

Admittedly, I don’t. That was the first non-American Korpita" I could find.

Phonetically, that surname fits fine within any of the Finnish, Polish, or Hungarian phonetic inventories. Not a lot to go on.

There are a few Finnish dopers here … maybe one of them will chime in.

Name service

I didn’t find any “Korpita” from there. For me “Korpita” from list of http://www.immigrantships.net is just miss spelled from “Korpela” or similiar finnish surname.

I’ve found certain variants: Korpyta, for example, that seem to be exclusively Polish. Carpita, which is close, is Italian. I suspect the name might be related to the word “Carpathian,” but that’s just a WAG and making the assumption the name is, in fact, European.