What kind of parents name their child Adolph Hitler?

An AP story in today’s newspaper is about a family in PA who named their now 3-year old child Adolph Hitler Campbell. They are upset because a store refused to put the entire name on a birthday cake for him.

Their other children are named JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell.

They insist they are not raciest. That may be, but IMHO they are dithering idiots. Pity the poor kids.

Racists, neo-Nazis, white supremacists. That’s about it. They can insist they aren’t racists, but nobody should believe them.

Assholes. Specific subspecies doesn’t really matter.

I cannot decide if the parents are Grade A Assholes or Attention Whoring.
How can you not know that naming your child Adolf or Adolf Hitler will not be a life time of abuse, taunting and jokes.

Personally, I think the kids should be removed from the home based on the atrociousness of the names and spelling of names. France, and I think New Zealand, have laws against horribly bad baby names.

No they didn’t.

If they had, we could ridicule them for being poor spellers.
But c’mon, doncha think that little mustache would look cute on a three-year-old?

This was on the radio this morning, but they said that the second place that they went, Wal-Mart complied happliy with putting whatever they wanted on the cake.

Godwin Brand Birthday Cakes, they just taste Reich. Now available at your local Wal-Mart.

Yeah, the dad doesn’t feel like changing his own name to Adolf Hitler. But he doesn’t mind saddling his kid with it. Apart from the Nazi thing, it sucks when people use their kids to push (putsch?) their own political views, nutty, evil or not.

I recall reading a story around 1970 of a woman who had named her daughter Equal Rights Amendment McCarthy. Wonder what that kid’s doing now, and by what name she goes…

Well, then. Kudos to WalMart.

I was wondering how stupid they were, and if the kid whose middle name is “Hinler” was supposed to be “Himmler.” And Honzlynn. Hans?

There’s already a thread in the Pit about this in case anyone feels like cursing more.

I think they just like attention and confrontation. They could have just easily put the name “Adolf” on the cake and it probably wouldn’t have been a problem. But they insisted on his full name - who puts their kid’s full name on their birthday cake anyway?

Their original thought process when deciding on a name for their child was probably something like, “Let’s name our kid Adolf Hitler and see how much of a stink we can make when people inevitably treat him unfairly.”

Are you sure?

Exactly. They are giant attention whore douchebags who knew people would make a fuss over the name they gave their “very special, unique child.” They want to be able to act all high and mighty that they aren’t offended by the name, and if you are, then you’re the one who’s got a problem and is too busy looking at the past…man.

Bumped.

Another couple who named their kid after Der Fuhrer is going to jail in Great Britain on charges of belonging to a banned neo-Nazi group: Couple who named their baby after Hitler jailed | CNN

I’m not sure if it’s changed - it’s now over 20 years ago - but when I worked for a County Council, the chief Registrar of Births, Deaths, and Marriages told me she was allowed to refuse certain names. And people tried to get around that by using initials. She would ask them if they knew what the initials would spell and often they would be enthusiastically affirmative. :smack:

Switzerland (where one of my children was born) has laws about forbidden names. They gave the explicit example of Karl Marx, but certainly wouldn’t register this one. They would refuse to register any name that would lead to ridicule for example.

In France, too, the Man can nix uncool names (e.g., anything too foreign). To make things simple, you used to have to choose from a list, though I understand the regulations have eased up a bit. Many other countries have naming laws; this will not surprise anyone who has encountered bureaucrats.

Of minor fascination to me is that while I can get an individual having whatever screw loose that would send them in this direction - wanting to name their child after Hitler - they seem to be able to attract a like minded mate! That’s the scary part.

Including traditional names from regional minority languages: [URL=]https://www.thelocal.fr/20170515/comment-tu-tappelles-french-authorities-ban-traditional-breton-name (I think in the end they let the name through, but there’s a longstanding practice of forcing Basques, Bretons, etc. to give their children French rather than Basque, Breton, etc. names.)