What Magazines Do You Subscribe To?

Home:
Entertainment Weekly (like everybody)
Skeptical Enquirer (like everybody else)
Movieline (Hi, Eve!)
New York Review of Science Fiction (I’ll be impressed if there’s anyone else here who reads this one)
Playboy (obligatory comment: I read it cover to cover. Then again, I read everything cover to cover.)
Comic Relief (great collection of editorial cartoons and columnists)
Comic Buyer’s Guide
Vassar Quarterly (Alumni mags never let you go)

Distributed at work:
Publishers Weekly
New York
Locus (science fiction’s trade mag)
Science Fiction Chronicle (ditto)

…but when you get blue, and you’ve lost all your dreams, there’s nothing like a campfire and a can of beans!

My New Yorker subscription is long gone - Can’t stomache it anymore since Tina Brown killed it.

Scientific American - Pretty pictures and I can pretend I still know what’s going on in the world of science.

Science News - See Scientific American.

Time - every year I switch between Newsweek and Time magazine. This year it’s Time, so I will have to get used to receiving letters from Newsweek begging to have me back.

Science Fiction Age - for short story entertainment.

Swiss-American Review - for news from Switzerland.

Le Journal Francais - So my fiancee can practice her french.

The Atlantic Monthly - to replace the New Yorker.

My own subscriptions:
Firehouse
Fire Engineering
Sky and Telescope
Model Railroader

Hijacked subscriptions (my grandfather gets 'em, I steal them when he’s done):
Proceedings (US Naval Institute)
Naval History
Air and Space
Pop Sci
Pop Mechanics

Jeremy…

Nobody ever calls me after they’ve done something smart.

Da Ace—

I was waitin’ for a Movieline fan! [big kiss]

I spend way too much on mags:

Harper’s;
Fortean Times;
American Invention and Technology;
Esprit de Corps (a gossip/scandal mag about the Canadian Armed Forces);
Comic Relief;
Frank (a Canadian version of Britain’s Private Eye: childish, scurrilous, infantile, frequently libellous, and the only way to know who’s doing who) http://www.frankmag.net/ ;
Private Eye (see above);
MovieLine (Hi Eve!)
Entertainment Weekly;
The Scotsman

Launcher may train without warning.

Atlantic Monthly. Every few issues, it seems, there will be an article that justifies paying for the entire year, all by itself.
Consumer Reports. Can’t do without it.
Perspectives, a small, thoughtful Christian monthly put out by a group of Dutch Reformed types who mostly teach at colleges in the Upper Midwest.
Hightower’s Lowdown, a wonderful rabble-rousing rag put out by Jim Hightower.
Various magazines I get by virtue of being a ‘member’ of (i.e. contributor to) various nonprofits.

[big kiss for Rodd, too]

I gotta set up a booth and start charging a dollar—it would probably pay more than Movieline does!

*The American Spectator[i/], Natural History, and Smithsonian are the only three I subscribe to. I will pick up Mad Magazine frequently, and occasionally Details or Maxim.

Quite the assortment, I know.

The Economist and National Geographic. I would get The New Republic and The National Review except that several of their best articles are available on-line and the American Institute library here in Barcelona gets them both a week or so late. I am thinking about getting either Time or Newsweek since I’ve seen some ridiculously cheap offers (like $20 a year) for them. I assume they’re trying to beef up their European circulation for advertising purposes. By the way, in case anyone’s inerested, US News puts out their entire magazine on-line every Wednesday. I am not a huge US News fan but I’m more than happy to read it all for free.

The thing I’ve noticed about this thread is that damn near everyone subscribes to National Geographic. Also, everyone saves them. You toss out your old Times or Sports Illustrateds, but you save your Geographics. Why? I suppose because their format is more like a book than a magazine, because it’s a good bit more expensive than, say, Time, and because of the general good quality of the magazine. It’s tough to throw away something with so many good photos.

Adobe Magazine
Videography
TV Guide
Sunset
Air

I really try to be good but it just isn’t in my nature!

RTFirefly, how do I get info on Hightower’s mag? They used to print his articles and Solomon in the weekly rag here, but alas, no more.

~handcrafted signatures since 1975~

Basebal weekly (newspaper) and Baseball Digest so I can keep with the really important issues.

UncleBeer said:

We’re trying to get more. We won’t be satisfied until everybody on the SDMB subscribes! Bwahahaahahaha!!

David,
I get the SI at the local library! Sorry I don’t subscribe, but its a bit out of my price range right now.
But I do read it and enjoy it.

Reading it at the library is fine. I don’t care about the money (I don’t get any of it), just the ideas.

I hate to break the news to you, but SF Age has just gone to the great Magazine Graveyard in the sky, to gambol with Galaxy and If throughout eternity. I think they’ve got another issue or two already in process, but then it’s dead. The editor’s already left the company.

…but when you get blue, and you’ve lost all your dreams, there’s nothing like a campfire and a can of beans!

Ducky subscribes to: Bird Talk magazine (who would have guessed) :wink:
PC Magazine

Mr.Ducky subscribes to:
Mopar Muscle
Fangoria (Haven’t seen this one on here yet)

Ducky

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Sports Illustrated, Rolling Stone, Newsweek, the Harvard Business Review (actually, the last one is sent to my father’s office so he could write the expense off…). I also pick up Esquire or GQ often from newstands.

“History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.” -Winston Churchill

Well, enough people said this that I checked out their site and the mag seems interesting, so I subscribed. Plus, you can’t go wrong for $18! Well, I also wanted another Darwin fish since some fundie ripped off my last one. Bastards…

Mike Mulligan had a steam shovel,
a beautiful red steam shovel.
Her name was Mary Anne.

oh also i forgot:

I dont subscribe to these, but occasionally I will pick up a tattooing magazine, just to see what new trends in tattooing are out there, or if there are any really wonderful tattoos in the magazine. The last one I picked up had a series of ink paintings by a japanese artist that were quite wonderful.