What makes you so sure your parents are your biological forebearers?

I look like my father. And my biological connection to my mother was established in the delivery room.

I’m inclined to believe the personal accounts and photographic evidence, personally.

I inherited my Dad’s baldness and his hyperactive sweat glands. Once, when I showed up with a newly grown Van Dyke beard, my father remarked how much I looked like his grandfather. Probably not a coincidence.

From my mother’s side I inherited a lack of wisdom teeth. None of us kids ever had them come in. Just as well, with the very small jaws we also got.

If they knew otherwise, that would be cold.

My parents have stood by and watched me put 25+ years of research into the family tree. I certainly would have hoped that one of them would have tapped me on the shoulder and told me we needed to talk at some point if there had been anything to tell.

I look like Mum and I am similar in personality to Dad - and I resemble his sister. I have my birth certificate. I’ve seen the birth announcement from the local paper, complete with the photograph of Mum and I. I didn’t have any doubts that I was their biological child.

I did my DNA to further my genealogy research, and I got matches to both sides that quickly proved both parents were mine. Later they did their DNA and it was confirmed.

I’m not sure that a birth certificate showing the names of the people who raised you is proof that you’re not adopted. (Anyone who knows, please speak up.) From what I’ve read online, at adoption the original birth certificate is sealed, and an amended birth certificate is issued. I didn’t find information as to whether or not the amended birth certificate is always marked “amended”. I suspect it is not.
When I got my name legally changed, I filed for an amended birth certificate in the state of my birth. The new BC is not marked “amended” and there’s no way to tell that it is not my original BC.

It still weirds me out to see my dad’s sister in the bathroom mirror.
I have my mom’s hands, with the freakishly short pinkies.

It’s easy to be certain of mom. I also look similar to my dad and according to mom act just like him sometimes, so thats reassuring, then again maybe mom just had a type.

Right, as of 30+ years ago in NYS, at least, birth certificates of adopted children were amended without any indication that there had ever been a previous one. Our daughter’s certificate has our names as her parents and you can’t tell it wasn’t the one originally issued. (The adoption was finalized ~8-10 months or so after her birth.) As far as I know this policy hasn’t changed, but I can only speak for sure about hers.

For those who say a family resemblance is proof of biological heritage, just going to point out that our daughter apparently bears a strong resemblance to both her mother and me. This is not out of left field somewhere–she has my coloring and her mother’s build, and I guess her facial structure resembles both of ours. But there’s no genetic link, and yet people have frequently commented on the family resemblance. I remember talking to one acquaintance about adoption (in the abstract–he didn;t know I had an adopted child) when my daughter wandered by; she would’ve been about 9 or 10. He looked at her; he looked at me. “There goes somebody who is CLEARLY not adopted,” he said with a grin. “Um…” I said…

Not to invalidate the idea that family resemblance is important…but the power of suggestion is strong, and not all who resemble family members are biologically connected to them.

I look striking similar to my older brother, and my sister in between us is similar enough.

I feel sorry for my youngest brother though; he doesn’t fit the mold.

I’m the fifth of five.

I claim,* “They stopped when they got it right”.*

:smiley:

All four of we children have the same nose and chin, which we got from our mother. And I think we got our bloodtype from her too, AB+.

None of us look like our Dad specifically, though as we age our Polynesian feature have become clearer. I also laugh like my Dad did, which is a tiny bit weird.

As I have mentioned several times on these boards, no female in my mother’s side of the family has ever had any sense of direction. I don’t mean a bad sense of direction, I mean no sense of direction. We are totally lacking that gene

I have no sense of direction. Proof positive.

Sorry, but I have to correct this misconception. Blood type does not come from one parent. If you are AB, you got an A gene from one parent and a B gene from the other (neither of your parents is type O).
Still, it’s unusual that all four children would be AB unless one parent is homozygous AA and the other is homozygous BB. But you said your mother was AB, so y’all just got lucky – you can received blood from anybody.

As a child I looked nothing like anyone in my family. It was obvious that my siblings were my mother’s, but in photo after photo I look like the neighbour’s child.

We have a cousin who looks more like my siblings than I do.

There’s a photo of my dad as a teenager and people used to look at that and ask when my brother got a motorcycle…

Now, as adults, it’s pretty obvious that me, my dad, and his brother are three of a kind. Similar height, build, hair pattern, head size, hand size – while my sibs are all still obviously related to my mother.

All you have to do is to look at my hands - my father’s broad, meaty palm, and my mother’s long, knobby fingers.

My dad had brown eyes, and my mom’s were kinda hazel-ish (my high school friends said they were “violet”). Four kids: my older sister has green eyes, me, my other sister and brother have blue eyes in decreasing intensity of hue starting with me and ending with my brother, whose eyes are almost grey.

I asked my high school physiology teacher about this, and she said my mom would had to have had 100 kids to have a reasonable statistical sampling. My mom said she wasn’t willing – even for science.

Interestingly, I only recently found out that two blue-eyed parents could have a brown-eyed child – which I’d always been told was impossible.

Oh, and my younger sister and I sound almost identical on the phone. This is the sister I share a condo with. When she doesn’t want to talk to someone when they call she says she’s me. Nobody has ever called her on it.

Both my older sisters have assured me that I was the offspring of my parents.

When I was a baby they kept asking my parents to return me.

So my mother being AB+ and all four of us kids also being AB+ is just coincidence? Are you sure?

I never saw any resemblance between my mom and myself. But after she died, I discovered
an old home movie reel I’d never known existed. It was of my mom at around age 18,
and she looked exactly like me at that age. It was uncanny.

Before I learned the full story of where babies come from, I once commented to my (biological) dad
that he was only related to me by marriage. :smack: