What mispronunciations/grammatical errors drive you absolutely batty?

1. Lie-berry (library)
  2. Liddle (little)
  3. Axed (asked)

'Nuff said.

Apostrophes, whether used incorrectly or missed out altogether.

Confusion between it’s and its.

Less instead of fewer.

British people pronouncing schedule as “sked-ule” (about 70% of the swine do these days).

Moot (as in a moot point) pronounced “mute”.

My parents put K’s at the end of the Wal-Mart and K-Mart, rendering them Wal-Mark and K-Mark. I have no idea where this came from, but it drives me nuts.

Other words that drive me crazy:

Itly

Ay-rab

Eye-ran

Aks instead of Ask

Mute Point rather than Moot Point

Infer when they mean Imply

What just kills me, is when people talk about someone having a ‘prostrate’ problem… Good Og. It’s PROSTATE!

Just today I read a single post here that contained both

I agree with the remarks above on had went; it’s distressing how many well educated native speaker IT folks say had ran a program.

Another insidious trend I’ve noticed is to make false acronyms. I work in IT, on the Operations side; some of the status emails refer to “IT - OPS”. The IT part is OK, that’s an abbreviation composed of initials. But OPS is not. It isn’t O.P.S., it’s Ops.

Nails on chalkboard, it is!

Sampiro, an easy rule of thumb regarding it’s/its: “it’s” is a contraction for “it is”, so you can only use it in cases where you could substitute “it is”. Everything else calls for “its”.

On the other hand, a lot of people think they should never use “me.” They seem to know that they shouldn’t say “Me and Bob went to the movies” but instead should say “Bob and I went to the movies.” But then they say “She gave the movie tickets to Bob and I” instead of “She gave the movie tickets to Bob and me.”

Aww!
*Hisself *is soooooo quaint!

Nuclear Realtor :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey!!
Borrow me some slack!!
;j ;j ;j

Li-barry drives me batpoo insane. It just shows someones ignorance.

Innernet for internet
Nuffink for nothing
Sumfink for something
Ockshon for auction

Also when people subsitute me for my as in ‘I got me new car today’.

People who don’t understand that “compliment” and “complement” are two very different words with two very different meanings make me want to stab something.

pestie, we have a Holyoke here, too. As far as I can tell, most people call it “hole’ yoke”.

Either way is correct. Skedule is easier to say so sod it, that’s what I say.

I hate acronym redundancies, such as “SSN number”, or “please enter your PIN number”.

You stole my example. They also often misuse “myself”, as in “She gave the movie tickets to Bob and myself.”

I really loathe it when someone is doing something better/faster/easier then someone else.

Especially when it’s their favourite pass-time.

But what really got on my tits was in a roleplaying chatroom I used to frequent. There was one particular person who always said they were feeling “Piss off” or “Depress”. Their justification for not using the words properly when told the words should be appended with an ‘ed’? “-ed means in the past, and I am piss off right now not yesterday”

Most of mine seem to contain the letter x. Excape; expresso; laxadaisical; and I knew a guy from Philly once who insisted the first meal of the day was brekfixt.

Inane use of the word literally as in “I literally laughed my head off.” No, you didn’t.

Another vote for prostrate where prostate is meant.

Regarding its and it’s, here’s my memory device:
When is it it’s? When it is it is. When is it its? When it isn’t it is.