What Names Are Most Automatically Shortened To Nickname?

It’s such a beautiful name! Anastasia was on my list of potential names should this baby be a girl, but my hubby seems to think it’s “too much name”. Grrr.

My name is Cynthia. I introduce myself as Cynthia. At least 50% of of the people to whom I introduce myself will turn around and call me “Cindy”. My reaction has become less and less polite over the years.

I agree.

I’m a John. That’s what I was named at birth, and that’s how I introduce myself. But it seems that every job I’ve had, someone will wind up calling me Johnathan. … huh? No, my name is John. ‘Oh, but john is short for johnathan, right?’ No, it’s not.

And my wife is Ukranian, who’s first language is Russian. So she calls me ‘Johnchick’ (or something that sounds like that) or other nicknames that are longer than my name. … huh? I admit I’m a lazy american who tries to shorten everything I can, so why would you want to make it longer?

I also have two friends named Steven, one who likes going by Steve (and hates being called Steven for some reason) and the other who likes Steven (and hates being called Steve). You can probably guess how often I mess them up. … which is why I call them ‘buddy’ ‘man’ or some other nonname-name. ‘Hey man, how are you doing today?’

10-4! One good alternative is the useful “Yo!” to indicate you see the other person. My default is, “Hey! How’re you doing?” – especially if I’m having trouble remembering a name. There are times when “I don’t remember your name” is not an adequate way of greeting somebody. Like with relatives’ spouses or children that you met at some family gathering (like a wedding or a funeral) long enough ago that their names never really registered.

I’m never able to be sure if this tactic is totally effective. Folks tend to respond to the question without showing their disappointment in not having their name recalled. I’m good with faces, and can usually associate the face with where I would know that person from, but the name may take a direct question, if the conversation lasts long enough for the lack of name to become an issue.

There have been those conversations when both of us can jaw about “old times” and such for quite some time without either one of us resorting to a name beyond whatever it was we used to start with. Meaningful stuff.

I’ve never known an Alexander who didn’t go by Alex, or a Joshua who didn’t go by Josh.

definitely. Especially in situations where the person changes somewhere along the way. When “Maddie” suddenly wants to be “Madeline” and “Joey” suddenly turns red when you call him that in front of his friends.

Xander/Zander is becoming more popular.

My umpty-great grandma’s first name was Mehitabel. She was just called Hit, or Hitty. Sometimes Hittybell.

I have two first cousins named Samuel, born 11 years apart.

The older boy has always gone by Sam. He’ll tolerate Sammy, but definitely never Samuel.

The younger boy (different parents) was Samuel for the first five years, at his parents’ insistence. It wasn’t until they went in for his first kindergarten conference that they realized he had introduced himself as Sam to the rest of the world. :slight_smile:

I work with a Joan who is most often just ‘Joan’ though she certainly doesn’t get insulted if she’d called Joany. Repeated uses of the name might be a different story.

As for me, I’m Lillian, but I’ve always been known as Lil or to some friends Lilly. Only one friend regularly calls me Lillian.
-Lil

In one of the 007 novels, Ian Fleming has a character repeatedly call James Bond Jim.

Needless to say, he doesn’t last until the end of the book.

Huey :frowning:

I’m weird in that, for the most part, I call people by there full names. I have this one friend who is named “Elizabeth,” but everyone calls her “Liz,” except for me.

Well, a friend of mine claims that people call him ‘Fordy’ without being told to (his surname is Ford), but I guess that’s not what you’re after.

The shortened version of my name is Finn, which is pretty strange, but even given that my full name is stranger (Finneas). Occasionally people call me by my full name, but I only ever introduce myself as Finn. I ought to try introducing myself as Finneas some time - I doubt it’s well known enough to be automatically shortened, though.

Just the other day I was thinking what a cool name that is, and wondering if anybody was called that, so for what it’s worth, you just made my day.

~ Finn (aka Isaac)

Richard, Philip, Joshua, Matthew, Ronald, Jeffrey - all family names. Oddly enough, my uncle Stephen is always “Stephen,” except to his wife.

I don’t shorten people’s names–I promise. What you tell me to call you is what I will call you. However, I understand the impluse. Some names just sound too formal. James, to me, is the epitome of this, but Robert, Douglas, Joshua, and Richard fit, too. They sound stiff to me.

Johnchick in Russian is like saying Johnny in English. It is just a cute way to pronounce your name.

I do not like names with more than two syllables. It leaves more room for me to mess up pronouncing the name. Double names like Mary Kate are the worst. I worked with a girl named Anastasia once and could not bring myself to talk to her because I would have to pronounce the long name. Nicknames help me make friends.

I’m a Jessica and will usually introduce myself as Jessica or Jess, but people like to call me Jessi (or Jessie or Jesse).

That always seems strange to me because when i was in 2nd grade I was in class with 2 other Jessica B’s so one got to be Jessica, the other Jessi and me JJ (my initials). So it’s awkward for me to be called Jessi when at a young age it was determined that Jessi was very definitely someone else.

The teacher must have put some thought into it, tho. All three variations of the name flow perfectly with the last names of the girls.

I don’t mind tho - as long as I’m not mistaken for “Jennifer” :slight_smile:

I have an uncle Don. Not Donald, Don. It too is on his birth certificate. I have a two-syllable name I’ve only ever had three or so people ever try to shorten, and after much growling from me they dropped that soon enough. Next person who insists on giving me a nickname based on my given name will be told if they must, call me Anon. That’d throw them. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have two friends named Joshua. One you can call Josh, but the other one won’t stand for it. You can call him Joshua or his other nickname – JJ. (His last name starts with a “j,” as well.)

My name is Sarah, and I am immensely glad that Sally is no longer a common nickname for it. My grandma very occasionally calls me Sal, but she’s the only one who can.

The impulse to give people nicknames has to be genetic, because I have a name that’s pretty much as unusual as it gets and it still gets shortened to one syllable. It’s not even that hard to pronounce- my name’s only two syllables, and the part that trips everyone up is in the syllable that becomes the nickname. And then there are the particularly lazy people who shorten it to just one letter because they can’t be bothered to learn how to pronounce my name. :rolleyes: At least most people are polite about it and most ask if it’s okay if they call me by a nickname.

In the end, it’s better to have someone automatically give me a nickname than someone who can’t figure out how to pronounce it at all (and believe me, there have been a lot). All you Jonathans and Jennifers and Daniels, you think you have it so bad…