What new Star Trek show do YOU want?

This is an out of the box type of thought, but I’d like to see a show based around a Klingon ship with adventures on their side of the neutral zone ( pre-treaty ) as the primary story, with the Federation, the Romulans and other alien races being mixed in as secondary acts.

The Klingons going a-viking, being all reasonable from their point of view, with the damn Federation just getting in the damn way all the time?

Updated Assignment: Earth. Gary Seven (or his modern day replacement) is here on Earth and every week he gets these little assignments from benevolent aliens to try to stop something bad from happening. Some can be dangerous, some can be silly, but most are assignments where he doesn’t understand why he’s doing them or what the consequences are. There’s a slow arc build and at the end of the season he has to stop the big bad and all of these little things along the way built the path to this confrontation.

The next season he can question whether or not these aliens giving him these assignments are actually benevolent or not. There is room for Star Trek guest stars but it’s set during today so effects probably aren’t too tough. Maybe he can have a cat that turns into a super model but they’d have to make it not goofy and there would have to be some point to it other than eye candy. He will also need a reluctant partner – not someone who says he’s full of BS every week, but someone plucked from his or her mundane life who can’t believe what’s actually going on.

Please. No more mirror universe. It was ok for the odd episode here and there but using it as a major plot device makes Star Trek a fantasy show.

How about a show exploring interesting alien cultures and well written stories. There is already a ton of action oriented stuff out there.

Gary Eight?

There is a novel series called Vanguard set on a Starbase during the TOS era. It was pretty good. Also a Novel series spin off called Star Trek Seeker which is a couple of smaller Star Ships which I didn’t enjoy as much but is exactly what you are asking for.

They made that difficult, killing of Sisko and moving people back to teaching on Earth and stuff.

A series concerning the development of the Vulcans, from a feudal period to Surak and on to warp drive.

A series featuring a Klingon ship and a Federation ship. Episodes with one ship, and some with interaction between the two.

An all mirror universe series.

Something that strongly resembles TNG. It was the only series that I’ve really gotten into an made a point to see every single episode of (though I admit it was an acquired taste and got better over time). I’m sure I’ve probably seen every episode of TOS but not in order, there were less episodes, and there were not a lot of entertainment choices back then. I only got through a handful of everything else before I got bored.

TNG had the perfect mix of character development, philosophy, and action. Yeah, something like that.

I want to see a Star Trek officer become a pirate. Kind of like mixing Breaking Bad with Star Trek.

They didn’t kill him off. The wormhole aliens took him. He told Kassidy he could come back at anytime…even “yesterday.”

Odo is off with the changelings, I know that. But Kira is surely a general by now, although how Nana Visitor and Siddig El Fadil could work together again is another matter.

I thought he died and became a worm hole alien. How did he appear to her? Her “Oh, my God!” sounded as though he were dead.

Wasn’t he destroyed in the last TNG movie? Okay, they have “B-4,” but that just retconned Lore out of existence.

Isn’t that pretty much what Star Trek: Enterprise was?

And I see that nobody has mentioned either:
(a) a series set in the Chris Pine universe (where Vulcan isn’t there any more), or
(b) Wesley Crusher, Traveller why are you setting that phaser to kil-

I think she thought he was dead, but he’s not…he’s just in another dimension, where linear time has no meaning. So, we can assume he’s off to learn at the knee of the Wormhole Aliens and can return at any time.

Part of this was Avery Brooks, not wanting to portray an African American man abandoning his family. So Sisko isn’t dead…just living in the wormhole.

It would not have a guy who had leapt into a starship Captain and didn’t have a clue what to do.

Why can’t they have a show set in “present day” continuity? That is, DS9 ended in 1999. So your new show is set 20 years later than that. You can use any guest star from DS9, TNG or Voyager, and they’ve all aged exactly as much as you’d expect, except Data. You can’t use him, because he’s dead, and B4 won’t work because Brent Spiner is too old now.

You want strange new world and new civilizations? Dude, they’re right there. Just go a little bit farther out and you’re in uncharted territory. If you have a ship that goes twice as far as the old ship, it will have to explore a volume 8 times larger. So you don’t have to rehash all your old Romulans and Cardassians and Klingons. Just over there is a brand-new galactic civilization that we’ve never heard of. Just over there is a brand-new planet of scantily-clad aerobics instructors.

I don’t understand this idea that you have to set everything in prequel-ville so every new planet you encounter is a new planet. Because that planet might be new to the prequel characters, but it’s old to the viewers. Set your goddam show in the goddam “present” of Trek, for crying out loud. Everything is brand new just like you wanted, you just have to go a little bit farther out, and suddenly you’re out of range of Starfleet, you’re out of range of help, you’re on a continuing mission to seek out new life and new civilizations.

Love this idea. I’ve always wanted a series built around Commodore Decker in command of the Constellation, replete with side references to sister ship Enterprise and all the mistakes her Captain makes and how Decker would have done it better, leading up to the fatal encounter with the Doomsday Machine. Would make a perfect one season storyline. Somewhere in there must be a Vulcan crew member losing at poker because he can’t understand bluffing.

I get down on my knees at night, and pray that the Traveller continues to abuse the hell out of him.
Priests and altarboys ain’t in it.

An R-rated, or TV-MA version might be doable now. We discussed that possibility some time ago in an old Trek Doper thread.

Give us back Worf style Klingons. This new look is off-putting.