What non-DCU characters would be worthy of a Green Lantern power ring?

Gotta disagree here. Mark Gruenwald did a good bit exploring this when he was writing Captain America, comparing and contrasting Cap with the anti-nationalist Flag-Smasher. Cap (at least as Gruenwald was writing) uses America as an ideal of the principles he fights for, not as blind nationalistic “my nation, right or wrong” jingoism.

Hi, I like Cap, and loved Gruenwald. I wasn’t saying calling Steve Rogers a jingoist or a blind patriot; I was saying that Thor isn’t either.

Hilda?!? The mind boggles. I’d never trust her with that much power.

Deety, OTOH…

Deety is way too immature. Do not be fooled by the boobs.

Why wouldn’t you trust Hilda Mae?

I can’t believe I’m the first to say Jack FUCKING Bauer.

Chuck Norris?

Deety is a genius and empathic, with boobs. Hilda is a willful (in a bad way) old nanny-goat who would have her way with everything. Be damned what anybody else thought. No thank you. Zeb might qualify, though.

Zeb is on record as being a coward. As for your slander of Hilda Mae, you will pay for it at the appropriate time. I have dispatched my mutant winged howler monkeys.

Kimball Kinnison was a Green Lantern before there was a Green Lantern. And all the rest of the Lensmen, for that matter. So he’s the obvious first pick (now watch, Qadgop will have snuck in before this posts and beat me to it).

For willpower, resourcefullness, and fearlessness, it’s hard to beat Lazarus Long, but I wouldn’t trust him with it. Any of Heinlein’s Boy Scout characters from the juvies, though, would be good choices (I’m thinking especially of the character from Space Cadet, here).

Taran, from the Chronicles of Prydain, has shown that he honors his commitments (both explicit and implied), becomes worthy of powerful magical items, and shows an ability to accept both great power and great responsibility. But he ends up as a king, which might count against him. Likewise, Peter, from the Chronicles of Narnia.

King Arthur may be disqualified, but several of his Knights of the Round Table would probably do well. Gallahad, of course, but probably also Percival, and maybe Lancelot and Gawain.

Atticus Finch, of To Kill a Mockingbird, would probably be very reluctant to accept a Ring, but if he thought he was needed, he would, and use it justly and wisely.

Dude, you win the thread. I bow down before your brilliance.

He’s not fictional, but…

Major Dick Winters.

See my post for Lensmen, Arthurians and plenty of Heinlein Heroes.
That said: Atticus Finch is an awesome pick. I would like to see him as a Lensmen or Green Lantern.
Lancelot may be too flawed, but I do not know much about Green Lanterns and I based my criteria on the Ops description and praising Elessar Telcontar first.
Almost seems like Gawain would instinctively dislike a “Green” Lantern ring. That whole Green Knight Incident. :wink:

Jim

From the Joss Verse:

Wesley

Xander

Buffy

Xander?!?

The guy whose thought processes go:

Xander: “Can you hear thoughts? //Buffy shakes her head// Just when I wasn’t thinking about sex!”

“Ooh, jello!”

That Xander? Might as well give it to Clem!

Dude, Brock Sampson doesn’t NEED no fucking ring! He could kick the ass of every Green Lantern at once, with just his '690 Charger and a bowie knife. Then he would have sex with every one of their mothers, while they, still barely alive but paralyzed, had to watch on, until he had his fun and finally ended their torment by snapping their necks.
With his cock.

If it goes to anyone in that multiverse, it had better go to Aunt Hilda-otherwise it will eventually end up in the hands of L.L.(and I don’t mean Lois Lane).

Brock: Ah… Yeah. So anyway, this floating… big-headed little blue guy in a dress came out of nowhere and tried to get me to marry him… or something. Gave me this ring, kept mouthing off about how worthy I was. Whatever.

Hank. Wow, Brock. What you do?

Brock: Gave him some Earth gifts: a Glasgow kiss, a Cambodian Conversation Piece and a Colombian Necktie. Maybe I went overboard. Was in a bad mood. Earlier that night I had a date with Molotov Cocktease… [sub](luscious bitch.)[/sub]

Dean: Gee, it’s shiny. Can I have it, Brock? Triana would love it.

Brock: (eyes narrowing) LIKE HELL. Sorry, Dean. You’re okay, right?

Dean: I-I crapped my pooter.

(VENTURE BROTHERS season 2 starts in two weeks!)

John Clayton, Lord Greystoke.

… also Dr. Clark Savage, Jr.

And Sherlock Holmes.

Roland Deschain, from King’s Gunslinger series seems a good pick.

Chuck Norris can recharge power rings just by glaring at them.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Honor Harrington go up against a Havanite fleet armed with a power ring!