What other DC superhero property would you like to see as "THE ANIMATED SERIES" ?

Well, I won’t argue with you on that particular point.

I just started watching Superman: TAS on Bommerang (after A- Learning there was a cartoon channel called “Bommerang” and B- figuring out that I had it on my 500 cable channels!). I like it even more than Batman: TAS.

What was the consensus opinion on it?

The storyline is fine, I get tired , as others have mentioned, of the animation style (enough with the wild takes).

Also with the fact the the Titans frankly are such WIMPS. Every fight is basicly “(Titan name) yells a battle cry, performs a flashy light show, and then gets slaped down by the bad guy of the week”. They do this, each one at a time, letting the bad guy collect his thoughts , taunt, and perhaps send out for pizza before the next Titan gives the bad guy something to beat on. Honestly, you get the impression that they win in the end simply because the episode has run out of time.

The Watchmen
:smiley:
Kidding, I’m kidding…

Agreed. Though the series definitely tightened up at the end of this season, the animation gave me a headache (it’s the new Dragonball Z!) Also, the amount of property damage that is done by the heroes is ridiculous. In X-Men, where the ‘mutant menace’ is germaine to the plot, I understand.

Static Shock was a pleasant surprise, though. Good show.

FANTASTIC FOUR!

No, wait…

INFERIOR FIVE!

Dangit…

METAL MEN! (seconded, or thirded)

Something that may actually happen

JSA, not modern day, but not WWII-era either. Perhaps a series set in a vague time-period?

My god!
I luved Dumb Bunny .

Why wouldn’t you want it in the WW2 era?

The Phil Foglio series rocked.
:cool:

My kneejerk thought whenever I heard WWII is ‘Nazis.’ Granted, any series set during WWII may well have other facets worth exploring, but I confess I only gave it a second or two of thought. Allowing myself to think about it a little more, I still have never been satisfied with the (to my mind) trumped-up explanations for why super-powered beings didn’t go over and put a stop to Hitler’s shenanigans. I also see the era as a bit limiting, since everything must revolve around the war. Set it in the late 40s or the 50s, you can still add the flavor of that time without being hampered by a very significant event that overshadows all else.

Or maybe I just want to see a superhero series set during that fallow time when superheroes en masse apparently ‘retired’. Screw McCarthy and Wertham. :wink:

Seconded!

Real answer: It would be over far before the real one.

Comic book answer (to the best of my memory): All the really powerful heroes are vulnerable to magic. Hitler holds the Spear of Destiny, the spear that pierced Christ’s side. Thus, if Captain Marvel, Superman, or some other heavy tried to fight him, Hitler would possession them. The non-so powerful superheroes decided they wouldn’t add much to the fight, and fought crime on the home front.

I really agree with this.

Hitler held the Spear of Destiny, which he used to invoke the ‘Sphere of Influence’ - essentially, the Sphere meant that (pre-Crisis) any magically powered or magically-susceptible hero crossing into Axis-controlled territory (the sphere expanded and contracted as Germany’s fortunes waxed and waned) would fall under Hitler’s control almost instantly. Post-Crisis, this was adjusted - ALL metahumans were susceptible to the Sphere, but it wasn’t necessarily an instant takeover. (And when you think about it - it’s not like Jay Garrick should be more able to resist the Sphere than, say, the Golden Age Superman.)

There was an Asian branch of the Sphere, with the Holy Grail as its centerpiece; there were also references in All-Star Squadron to attempts by the Germans to get the Ark of the Covenant to extend the Sphere beyond territory they controlled.
The sphere wasn’t the most consistently used device - I recall one incident in which the Spectre used his power to allow the JSA to ignore the Sphere while doing some humanitarian aid in German territory.

A few nonpowered individuals did do work in Axis territory, of course - notably, Tex Thompson, the Americommando, served as an undercover agent impersonating a German officer. Many of the JSA signed up in traditional armed service roles during the war, as well.

Starman
The Question
Justice League International (the Giffen/DeMatteis cast)
Sandman Mystery Theatre
Hellblazer/Constantine

As others have said, depicting a WWII series would be rather problematic.

Having said that, I’d kinda like to see an All-Star Squadron series. Just think of it as JSA Unlimited. :slight_smile:

You know, the Inferior Five could actually do quite well as a humor series.

Hmmm…

Not really. It’d have the obvious storytelling liberties taken with it when the series wraps up and shows what “really” happened with WWII: How the Spear of Destiny was finally destroyed and how the heroes of the JSA were finally able to gave Hitler, Mussolini and Toshiro what-for. I can see a finale with the Blackhawks, Sgt. Rock’s Easy Company, The Unknown Soldier, The Boy Commandoes, Garth Ennis’ Rifle Brigade and Gravedigger.

The WWII thing was done during the JL run as a three part altenapast involving Vandal Savage.

I’d prefer to see it set PRE-US entry into WW2. The fear of war would make a nice backdrop to the series. Late 30’s would be ideal.

(And to add to the fanboy discussion, FDR prohibited superhero participation because he feared the death of a superhero would be too great to the American war effort. But I’ll bet Truman woulda let them!)

Right. That’s why I mentioned Easy Company & the Blackhawks, although I dunno how I forgot about Steve Trevor. Might as well involve them all again!