What performer would you pay $200/ticket to see?

I paid $190ea for two tickets to some Hong Kong performer for my wife and friend for her birthday.

Front row centre.

Was worth every cent (according to her). She went to the same concert at a different venue a few weeks later, and said the seats couldn’t compare. Given her reaction I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Tom Waits and Bob Seger. Be the youngest one there by 25 years :wink:

I’d spend $200 on a Billy Joel/Elton John combo ticket; I paid $110 to see them in Cleveland, and I’d spend more for even better seats in the future.

Could I afford it (which, sadly, I cannot), and they were currently performing (sadly, not)…

Not only would I pay $200 for tickets to see the brilliant green, I’d pay several thousand more for the plane tickets to Japan, and the hotel room I’d need while I was there…

I may be just a tad obsessive. >_>

Queen,even without Freddie.

Would pay much more than 200.

It’s funny that Steely Dan is one that you would pay so much to see. I saw them at Riverport (back when it was still called that in the 90s) in St Louis and the tickets were a special deal from a fast food place (Maybe Rally’s…I forget) they cost $5.00 each with the purchase of the special hamburger. It was a actually a very good show that I would never have thought to pay for otherwise (despite being a fan) and it was just a fluke that we got tickets at all…we happened to be hungry for hamburgers that day and the drive thru girl told us about the special. :slight_smile:
ETA: I should add that those cheap tickets were lawn seats, so far from the best in the house, but still…got to see them for less than 10 bucks. :slight_smile:

Maybe Paul McCartney, I’ve heard his shows are phenomenal.
I did, however, just pay about $115(after taxes and other fees) per ticket for Tom Petty with ZZ Top opening.

DANG! Steely Dan for five dollars! :eek:

I’d never want for anything again. :slight_smile:

I just paid about $140 a ticket for Petty, and that wasn’t even with ZZ Top; Drive-By Truckers are opening for him here in Chicago. I feel ripped off now! :smiley:

Kate Bush. Oh yeah, definitely. She could be playing one show in Sydney, Australia and tickets could be $1000 each, and we’d sell everything we own and borrow what we still needed to fly halfway around the world to go see her. We flew from Chicago to London for fan conventions where she appeared for just a few minutes. We did that twice, in 1990 and 1994.

Tickets, for us, were usually free, but regarding spending a lot of money to go to concerts, since 1991 my husband and I have traveled from Chicago to the east coast (New York City/state, Philadelphia, Boston and Connecticut) to see Happy Rhodes perform, 10 trips, 21 shows total. We’ve also traveled from Chicago to Toledo, Ohio, and from Chicago to Kenosha, Wisconsin to see her. I’ve seen her live 25 times, and only 2 of those shows were in Chicago. If she announced a show in Philly or NY tomorrow, we’d be there. If she announced a show in London tomorrow, we’d be there. She almost toured New Zealand once and we were going to go. It sounds like she plays live a lot, but that’s the thing, she doesn’t. Almost every time I’ve seen her, I went because I thought “this might be the last time I see her live, so I’d better go.” So far, it hasn’t been the last time (though the last show we attended might have been the last time, or maybe not) but one day it will be. I know that makes no sense, but she’s almost as much as a musical goddess to me as Kate Bush, and who knew, back in 1979, that Kate would never tour again?

Are you me? I seriously thought this was an old thread that had gotten bumped with a post I made. Good taste sir.

I’ve seen Steely Dan a couple of times in concert, and the price was no where near $200. They were good shows.

I might pay $200 to see the Stones again. I’ve seen them three times, they were great shows.

For our dead artists, I’d pay $1000 to see Beethoven conducting the 9th symphony, or the four Beatles doing the rooftop concert, or just one more Grateful Dead show with Jerry and Pigpen, but it would have to last four hours. (And Pigpen was before my concert attending days.)

Paul Simon or Simon and Garfunkel… and if I had it, I’d pay more than 200$

My wife and I decided a couple of years ago that we’re getting too old for concerts - I just don’t think most acts are worth the hassle of dealing with Ticketmaster/LiveNation, all the annoying people that will be at the show, getting to the venue, etc. On the other hand, there are a few acts I feel like I’d like to see before it’s too late. I paid around $200 each to see Springsteen last year, and I’m glad I did. He’s such a dynamic performer, and the band is still really tight.

I’m thinking about doing the same for Tom Petty this year. I’ve never seen him live, but if the Super Bowl halftime show was a representative sample the band is still in great shape. I’ve heard good things about Drive By Truckers, so that might be a nice little bonus.

I don’t know how many other acts I’d pay that much to see. Probably Paul Simon, since he doesn’t seem to tour all that much. Maybe Peter Gabriel.

It was a few years ago (Running with Scissors), but the local concert was closer to $20

Brian

There’s nobody I’d pay that much for, for the tickets alone.

I have paid easily that much for tickets, travel and a hotel for the night - for King Crimson and Peter Hammill (with VDGG). More than once for Hammill.

Given your username, not such a surprise. I’ve seen them twice with Ridgers as singer and don’t think I’d be tempted to pay even half of that to see them again.
I would pay it easily for Pink Floyd or Led Zep. I think I’d even pay twice that for Led Zep (given the current exchange rate with the Euro, that is:))

Zombie Mozart. That’d be awesome. Failing that, tickets to the Ring at Bayreuth (although if one came up it’d go for thousands).

In general I hate live rock shows - so often they’ve been little more than “crowd karaoke” and I regretted paying lots of money to hear the drunken idiot behind me singing badly in my ear. Not worth it. At least classical audiences usually shut up.

I’ve seen Roger Waters twice, and Jimmy Page with the Black Crowes. I could see spending quite a bit to see either of them again. Roger waters was great and the Page/Crowes show, well, I’d imagine it was pretty similar to a Zeppelin show.

GO SEE PETTY. I’d say Tom Petty is probably one of the top performers of our time. This’ll be my ninth show I think.

My normal Tom Petty concert friend can’t make it to the Milwaukee show and when I checked he was with the Drive By Truckers in Chicago and St Paul so I’m going without her to the Milwaukee show, but if Joe Cocker had been with him for either of the other two shows we probably would have gone to that one instead.

Never seen Gilmour live (except on my PULSE concert VHS tape), but he was in town a few years back and I think his tickets were damn near $200 to begin with.
Oh, and depending on where you live and what you want to spend on travel, Jeff Beck will be at Summerfest in Milwaukee for free this year. Just need to pay for admission, but then you have access to a lot of other music.

Not without Freddie; but if Freddie was still around, I could add them to the list. In my mind, he’s probably the greatest front-man that ever drew breath.

Of course, so much of “Who would you pay $200.00 to see” is very subjective, depending on how much money you make, and how much expendable income you have. Right now, while we’re not wealthy, $200.00 would be less than 10% of my hubby’s take-home pay in a two-week period. That still makes it pricey, of course, but not nearly as much as for some under-grad who’s working at McDonald’s and trying to pay for text books and buying ramen by the case. . .

Using my handy time machine, I might go back and spend the equivalent of $200 in ‘70s dollars to see Queen in their prime. Half of that for NRBQ and the Flamin’ Groovies.

No one now. $200 buys a lot of albums/downloads.