What performer would you pay $200/ticket to see?

Radiohead. Have, actually; I got killer seats for the In Rainbows tour.

There’s another response that would seem to imply itself, but quite honestly I’d have to see the playlist before I shelled out that kind of coin. Much as I hate to say it, I’m not all that inspired by TFF’s newest offerings (though part of that might have to do with the particular performance I already saw), but if they were playing a combo of their early classics plus Roland’s ventures with Alan Griffiths under the TFF name, I’d likely be persuaded.

I just set my personal record, paying around $150 on Stubhub to see Furthur (with Bob Weir & Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead). Paid about three times face value for a comically crappy seat. Absolutely no regrets.

Barring the return from the dead of Frank Zappa, I don’t know what else I would pay that much for…would seriously consider it for the Stones. Don’t tell Bob Dylan, but I might pay that much to see him (happily his tickets are typically much less). I did think about shelling out $200 for John Prine recently, but that was a benefit. Might have done it if I hadn’t seen him last year and if it wasn’t two days after the Furthur splurge.

There is only one, and I have:

Earth, Wind and Fire.

Sat close enough that I could see Philip Bailey’s tonsils.

Here’s the talent roster for this April’s Houston International Festival. Four days of festival @14.00 per day (if you buy in advance).

This May, The Blasters come to play in my neighborhood. Again, 14.00 in advance.

Heck, Austin’s SXSW is coming up. Many of those bands book Houston shows while they’re down here. The weirdos at Super Happy Fun Land–not far away–offer a bunch of new bands for 8.00 a night. And the old farts at Dan Electro’s (also in my neighborhood) offer 3 days of music–for free!

My misspent youth allowed me to see many excellent–even legendary–acts in small & mid-size clubs. Most giant concerts do nothing for me. I was tempted by Tom Waits–in a concert hall, not a giant arena–for less than 200.00. I’ll try not to miss him again. Anyone else? I’ve got the records. And the CD’s & the MP3’s…

If I could go back, I’d pay $200 plus to experience the 2007 Crossroads Guitar Festival live.

I’m going to get my chance again-the 2010 Festival is in Chicago and I’m going!

You’re married to Derek Trucks? And you have to pay to see him??? :wink:

I paid around $200 per person to see Paul McCartney last summer. The show was as good as any I’ve seen in my life. It was worth every penny to see how it transformed my wife into a 14 year old girl again, jumping up and down and screaming “IT’S PAUL!!!”

I saw them for $5 in 1971–the seats were so-so.
Stood at the stage for Jethro Tull and the Who for the same amount of money.
Sometimes it pays to be young at the right time.

heh
Never saw his tonsils, but he did go to my high school.
I can’t remember how much I paid to see them in concert, but it wasn’t anywhere near $200.

I paid approximately $200 for 2-day Voodoo Festival tickets last fall, and definitely got my money’s worth because the lineup included the Pogues, Gogol Bordello, Flaming Lips, MOFRO, MarchFourth Marching Band etc.
Plus we paid for plane tickets, hotel etc.
But we had all those bands plus Halloween weekend in New Orleans.

I can’t think of any one performer that would make me plunk down $200 money, solely for the performance.

I’ve paid $250 for one ticket for the U2 next summer.

I would pay at least that for Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath (original line-up) and a couple of bands that don’t exist anymore (Doors, Beatles, Hendrix)!

I paid about 125/ticket for a pair of tix for tomorrow’s Furthur show for Phil’s 70th. This was face value for VIP seats where most of the money is going to charity. The gf and I are in the front row of the balcony (the main floor is GA). We get free t-shirts and signed posters as well.

Re: the rest of your post. You have some damn fine taste in music.

twickster is Susan Tedeschi? Who knew??

I just paid the equivalent of $1,060 to go see Ray Davies at the Royal Albert Hall.

Admittedly, the concert is incidental to a three week trip home to be with my partner, but it looks bonkers to phrase it like that.

IIRC that would have been Summer 2007 that I saw him with Stevie Winwood.
My first time I was just going because a friend of mine was going and she didn’t want to make the two hour drive alone (she was meeting friends there) and I said the same thing everyone else says when I tell them they should go “But I don’t know any songs/I only know like two songs”. Just wait. I thought I only knew like one or two songs, nope, I knew damn near the entire show word for word, and it was a hell of a show.
I can’t wait, only 3 more months and I get to see him again.

Assuming that the 2 Bens would get me something real close to a front row center seat, at a venue that didn’t require a lot of additional expense and trouble to get to… I think I would pay that to see a reunion of the original King Crimson performing In the Court of the Crimson King. I think the Stones would also qualify, and probably a few other bands… like Cream (I was sorely tempted to see them in NYC, but it seemed like a bit too much effort), CSNY, and maybe Genesis with Gabriel. Maybe if Paul and Ringo did a tour together (although I’ve seen them both separately). Possibly a reunited Airplane or Byrds if they were doing their old stuff, but I don’t know… if they were on a double bill together, yeah.

(I would say Dylan, but I’ve already seen him from front & center! Most enjoyable concert I’ve ever been to!)

:):slight_smile:

Neither could anyone else. Hell, the Beatles said could hardly hear themselves.

I’d pay $200 to see my all-time favorite band, Electric Light Orchestra, in concert. Not that I’d expect it to be some amazing concert experience, but I’ve wanted to see them for 30 years.

The last time they toured the U.S. was 1981, maybe early 1982. I was 16, living in Green Bay, and the closest their tour came was Milwaukee (2 hours away). My friend Paul and I desperately wanted to go, but our parents weren’t keen on two guys with the ink still wet on our licenses driving all that way by ourselves.

A re-formed ELO was set to tour the U.S. in the fall of 2001, and my wife and I had tickets for their Chicago show. The tour was cancelled, apparently due to weak ticket sales…though, as it turns out, our tickets were for 9/12/01, so I suspect we wouldn’t have gotten to see them, regardless.

For any seat in any venue:

[ul]
[li]Aretha Franklin[/li][li]Stevie Wonder[/li][/ul]
For good seats in a decent venue:

[ul]
[li]Bruce Springsteen[/li][li]Billy Joel/Elton John[/li][li]Peter Gabriel[/li][li]Paul McCartney[/li][li]Iron Maiden[/li][/ul]

Adding bus fare, hotel and tickets together, we did spend about $200/person to see Leonard Cohen in Dallas.

Worth every penny. Best concert I’ve ever seen in my life.

Stevie is playing Bonnaroo this June in Tennessee. Tickets are $270, and I’m going to be in the crowd.

Hey! Another Clutch fan on this board? Seems to be far fewer of us than the bands talents merit!