What properties would you say are referenced too often based on their ACTUAL popularity?

About 5 years ago I was speaking at Career Day to some middle schoolers and tried to illustrate a point by saying “It’s like the little kid in the Oracle’s place in the Matrix says… Do not try to bend the spoon. That’s impossible. Instead, realize the truth… there is no spoon. Then you will see it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.”

I was 100% met with dull stares. I quickly realized none of these kids had ever seen The Matrix. I assume it only gets more and more true as years go by.

I had never noticed it before, but that scene/line was kind of parodied in “Forrest Gump”.
After Forrest meets up with Lt. Dan after shooting the Dick Cavett show, there’s a scene of Forrest pushing Lt. Dan’s wheelchair. They’re even playing the “Everybody’s Talkin’” music from “Midnight Cowboy”. At one point, they cross a crowded (NY) street. As they are going in front of a cab, the cab inches forward. Lt. Dan slams the hood and yells the line. The joke, of course, is Lt. Dan doesn’t have (complete) legs.

There’s also “you complete me,” which was used by Heath Ledger’s Joker in The Dark Knight.

“I’m ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille.”

I’ve heard people say this famous movie quote many times. I work at a TV station and we were shooting a commercial in an office building. Some random person walked in, saw our set-up and said that. I said “Oh, you’re a fan of ‘Sunset Boulevard’?” “What?” she said. I told her it was from a movie. “I’ve never heard of it,” she replied.

“Nah Nah Nah Nah,
Nah, Nah, Nah, Nah,
Hey, Hey, Goodbye!”

Bonus points for knowing who sang it.

Steam? From memory!

I have a vivid memory of singing this song in unison on a school bus on the last day of school.

I have no idea where it came from.

Had to look it up. It was Steam, a band name made up in order to release the song. It was so ubiquitous I never had any notion where it came from, seemed like it existed forever even though I was a teenager by the time it appeared.

Trivia note; the line was not in the script. In fact, the taxi wasn’t in the script. The shot was supposed to just be normal dialogue between Voight and Hoffman as they crossed the street. They were filming in actual traffic and the taxi driver was not an actor; he was an actual traffic driver who nudged forward as the two actors were walking in front of him. Hoffman adlibbed his response.

Whether it was fully improvised is unclear. The producer and director both say an extra was in the cab, and multiple takes were shot. I’m inclined to think Hoffman came up with the line as described, but the situation wasn’t.

I feel there were far more parodies of the movie “The Witches of Eastwick” than it deserved. Bring up that movie today and you’ll get a blank stare from pretty much everyone.