What purpose do labia minora serve?

Does that mean that all female animals have the ability to orgasm, then, and they just hardly ever get the opportunity?

Emptying the bladder before intercourse- means that any bacteria that get there aren’t left sitting in a nice, warm culture medium (urine).

Emptying the bladder after intercourse flushes any bacteria that have made it into the urethra or bladder, out.
Or at least, that is the theory.

Some cases of “honeymoon cystitis” may not be UTIs at all. Certainly several women report symptoms far too close in time to the act of intercourse to make an actual bacterial infection likely.

If you’re getting urgency, burning, frequency etc. immediately after intercourse, it’s more likely to be physical irritation of the urethra, from friction, rather than a lower urinary tract infection.

Thanks, irishgirl! (And my apologies for forgetting that this was your field.)

I am not a bioligist, so I can refer you to reviews of a book on the subject.

As one of the writers points out, this is nothing new, and largely accepted in scientific community, but speculation on possible evolutionary advantages is so much more fun, and allows people to confirm their own biases about male and female sexuality, that it is routinely ignored.

Simply put, the theory says: