What repairs are usually done to a non working LCD Monitor?

If the Monitor has been well looked after & just stayed put on a desk subjected to typical use in summer & winter along with an average to high humidity & low dust.

Then what repairs are usually done to get them going again when the stop working?

I have an old 2005 Dell 30" & would like to hold onto it for some time as newer monitors have a different aspect ratio.

If the lamp goes would replacement parts be even attainable for the repairer? I assume not based on when my active loud speaker shorted I needed a whole new board & the repair wasn’t possible.

There are repair kits online for small components but I feel when the monitor goes it will be much more than a capacitor.

Dell still produce 1600p monitors.

If the lamp goes, it may be repairable, as long as it’s accessible within the device (in some teardowns I’ve seen, you pretty much have to break things that are glued together to get to the backlight assembly.

Assuming it’s accessible, even if spare lamp parts aren’t available, a competent electronics engineer could probably build a replacement backlight solution - maybe using white LEDs.

Flat screens of almost any size are pretty much a consumable item nowadays - although anything is technically repairable, it’s just not worth the effort (which equals cost) for most cases.

The most common problem with monitors are bad caps in the power supply. Some times these are accessible enough that a person with good soldering skills can open it up, remove the PS board, solder in new caps. Not sure about new PS boards for LCD monitors but for popular models of TVs new boards can even be bought on Amazon.

I’ve actually replaced bad caps in a monitor and several other devices.

Anything involving the screen at all and I’d declare it a goner.

(And no, the bad cap problem has not be solved at all. They are still being made in mammoth numbers.)

Thanks guys.

What if I get a second hand ebay working unit, if the lamp goes could someone swap them?

btw, the old dells were not wide screen around 2000x1500 res.

It’s hard to say, until you open it and see how repairable/re-assemblable it is - you could try searching for the model number with the keyword ‘teardown’ and see if anyone has blogged or vlogged the process of taking one apart.

It can, indeed, be a capacitor, and it’s not at all that uncommon that it is. That’s exactly what I replaced to fix an LCD monitor about ten years ago. It was pretty obvious when I opened up the monitor and saw several bulging caps.

But that’s just one of many things that can go. But, yes, those capacitors do go.

Ahh… he likes the older 4:3 ratio it seems. Those have become a premium now a days as production shifted to 16:9 and 21:9. I’d eBay for a like monitor or maybe CL or even a local IT shop that deals with new and used computer equipment. Sometimes online places like NewEgg, MicroCenter online, Fry’s, have used/refurb’d stuff for cheap.

This probably deserves its own thread, but the capacitor plague was (still is?) a perfect storm of corporate espionage, greed and indifference. It’s unlikely that anyone is still making them but there are millions upon millions of bad capacitors still sitting on the shelf.

That’s the old 4:3 ratio. :cool:

A screen of that vintage would almost certainly be using a fluorescent backlight, whereas today they’ve mostly switched to LED. I don’t think it’s common for the backlight lamp itself to fail completely, but the inverter (ballast) can. It happened to an old Apple Cinema Display of mine, circa 2003. Fortunately being a larger (for the time) screen, it had two separate backlights/inverters, and there was enough reflective material inside to allow it to still be usable if irritating. You should be able to tell if the backlight is what’s failed versus something else if you can still barely see an image on the screen. Shining a flashlight on it will help. The trouble though would be getting the right replacement inverter. That could certainly be a challenge.

I have long suspected this with all appliances, they are all being made to last less & less as most peoples attitude seems to be “are just buy another one” maybe a good attitude for cheapo childs tv, but when ya build a rig like a music setup that you wan’t for life time you realize what a cut throat disposable world it really is.