What should I do with a billion dollars?

The obvious thing to do would be to buy every man, woman and child living in Sri Lanka their very own Hohner Blues harp. Think of it as a cultural contribution on a global scale.

Buy a small mountain, have it carved into a sculpture of your face. Or Bart Simpson’s face, whatever floats your boat.

Or buy a whole hundreds-mile-long strip of farmland in some empty state, hire some Japanese rice paddy farmers/artiststo do sequential frames of a storyboard, and fly over it with a plane equipped with a shutter mechanism to make an animated movie…preferably something silly.

Unfortunately, a mere one billion isn’t quite pyramid-building money, though. You’d need to win at least 4 more of the things

Buy the Washington Redskins. Change the name to the Washington Honkies.

Visit the town of Twatt, Shetland, Scotland.
Visit the town of Twatt, Orkney, Scotland.
Find a worthy gentleman, with family roots in both communities.
[del]Bribe[/del] Persuade the Crown to make him a Lord of Parliament.

If you’re really against doing good then run for president.

[Capt. BuzzKil]

Actually the 1.6 Billion drawing will net you a $904 million payout…BEFORE TAXES.

Then Uncle Sam grabs 40% and you are left with around $550 Million

Hopefully with that you can still afford your groceries.

[/Capt. BuzzKil]

What should you do with a thousand megabucks? Give me $250,000. You know, for pointing you to Gibson & Barnes. :wink:

I think you win.

As for me, I’d get a better house, better houses for my family and close friends and buy musical instruments.

I want to conduct a full symphony orchestra. Not just once, but regularly, so I guess I’d buy one and put them on a salary. Build a symphony hall. You know, next to the garage.

Buy a billion lottery tickets.

Work up a sweat each day in an attempt to spend it.

I expect some challenge in finding one, as less-than-excellent ones will likely crawling out of the woodwork after a big win like that.

I.e., I doubt many dopers currently have need for the skillset that a big jackpot winner will need.

Yeah you’d at least need a swimming pool full first.

This guy predicts that would only cost around $238 million, so you’d have some money left over, and obviously you could never count $238 million in pennies. That would take at least 60 years, and if you’re the average doper you don’t have that much time left. :frowning:

You’d also have to get them at least look gold first.

Probably the cheapest option. I doubt a billion dollars could get them gold leafed, but I could be wrong.

Then of couse, you have to dive in them.

A billion is a thousand million, right? I would pay off the mortgages and school loans of all my friends, and if some friends didn’t own homes, I would buy them houses. I would pay all taxes and utilities. I would buy 2 houses in Scotland (one for me, and one for my friends) and two in France. I would buy a horse farm somewhere in the states and hire the current manager of my boarding barn to run it. I would give my niece and nephew and their families a couple of million. I would give a couple million to my favorite charities.

The OP specifically said no charities or helping others-he wants to blow it on selfish stuff.

And that’s a difficult, noble feat.

I would pay for the development of cats-specifically, making them smarter and giving them opposable thumbs. Nothing good will come of this, I assure you.

Family Guy has explored certain practical considerations with a Scrooge McDuck swiming pool.

[quote=“Riemann, post:56, topic:823304”]

Family Guy has explored certain practical considerations with a Scrooge McDuck swiming pool.

[/QUOTE]

LOL, yeah, after I typed that I figured you’d probably also need to build a real life Iron Man suit in order to actually swim in it.

I think I’d try being an Agent of Chaos. Announce that I will be dropping $1 million over a spot in the desert. 1 hour before the drop, specify the location. Then dump $1 million in small bills out of an airplane, loose. Watch the base instincts play out.

Yeah that’d be a nice thing to do. Pay off the debt and buy houses for a wide range of friends and family. It wouldn’t even cost that much (for a billionaire), probably a few million.

Louis CK on what he’d do with billions of dollars.