What should I put his ashes in?

I plan to be scattering my dad’s ashes on the solstice, and I need a suitable container for the ceremony. The urns that are made for this purpose simply will not do. I’d like to acquire some unusual, utilitarian-looking-but-very-cool, preferably military or aeronautical sort of box. Bonus if it has something to do with electronics. It should be somewhere near ten inches on a side. I don’t know of anything that fits that description, but maybe you do. I’ve checked some military surplus sites, but not having a name for the thing I’m looking for is hampering my efforts.

Anything spring to mind?

Military, eh? Perhaps you’re thinking about some sort of ammo case? If you need electronics, maybe one of those WWII radio telephone things, but that may be too big.

When I read the title to the thread, it reminded me that I have always thought that a hand-crafted container (any thing with a lid, even a cookie jar type thing) from a local potter is suitable for someone’s ashes.

This gives you the knowledge that someone made the vessel (sp) with love and care as most pottery artists love their craft. Your loved one deserves to be carried in such a loved and cared for item before the ashes are spread.

But that’s just me.

When I read the title to the thread, it reminded me that I have always thought that a hand-crafted container (any thing with a lid, even a cookie jar type thing) from a local potter is suitable for someone’s ashes.

This gives you the knowledge that someone made the vessel (sp) with love and care as most pottery artists love their craft. Your loved one deserves to be carried in such a loved and cared for item before the ashes are spread.

But that’s just me.

Sorry about the double post.

I know, I know, trust the CGI but this is PHP and I have yet to fully trust it!

techchick, I agree that the container needs to be cared for, but I feel that what was once an ordinary stock item can be carefully selected with the loved one’s unique characteristics in mind. For my grandmother’s ashes, we did select a handcrafted container–a beatiful hand-carved wooden box–and everyone agreed that it was absolutely perfect for her. For my dad, though, I want something that reflects his lifelong, consuming passion for technical relics. The man was a tinkerer, and he loved nothing better than to scrounge up some surplus parts and modify them to suit his purpose.

** Mr. Blue Sky **, I think the ammo case idea might be on the right track. I’ll have a look around.

Perhaps a container in a container. Place a utilitarian container in all old radio cabinet or similar. My father-in-law is a long time radio/electronics enthusiast and has a large collection of old radios. He especially likes the old military radios.

Something like a radio case might make a nice surround for something sealed inside.

How cool.

I think that something the person owned and held dear is good, or something they liked.

For me, I want my loved ones to get a bunch of little vials like test tubes with lids or stoppers, decorated with silver or stones or made of colored glass or something, and funnel my ashes into them. Then, people can take my ashes with them after the service and scatter them somewhere cool or different. I could end up all kinds of neat places!

If you plan on scattering the ashes anyway, how about using a ROCKET and then aiming it to shoot straight up…I am not a rocket scientist, but I have heard there are hobby rockets now that can almost break out of the atmosphere…aiming that over the pacific ocean could be wonderful (or a cause for scrambling fighter jets over San Diego and start of WWIII).
However, even a non-flying version of the old Flash Gordon spaceship would certainly be technical/futuristic and retro all-in-one.
http://www.jcsw.com/John/Rocketry/flashgordon.html

I’m sorry for your loss.

Perhaps the thing to do would be to do some tinkering yourself. Could you come up with some weird contraption, like for instance a box with a small powerful fan/blower in one side, which would assist with the scattering process?

I know this is a goofy suggestion, but perhaps it’s a way to honor your dad’s memory.

Aircraft electronics are housed in metal boxes. Here is one random example from eBay. Maybe you could get something like that and just use the enclosure? Or perhaps a telescope or camera barrel - antique aerial cameras (the kind used on military planes) are nice and big.

There’s a group called the Professional Electrical Apparatus Recycler’s League(PEARL). Perfaps if you contact them they could give you some ideas.

http://www.pearl1.org

I did a hand-made ceramic container with a lid for the burial of my mom’s ashes (I saved some out to keep, but haven’t properly contained them yet). But an ammo box would probably be perfect for what you’re looking for.

Maybe something like this or this ? The first is some kind of navigation device (used on ships? - that’s probably not what your’re looking for, but the box is good looking) and the second is an ammunition case.

Thanks for all the links, everyone!

jerricurrl, when I follow your links I get this message from eBay:

"Dear User:

Unfortunately, access to this particular category or item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in your home country. " Interesting, hmmm?
DMark, I love the rocket, but it’s a little out of my price range.

scr4, I think we’re on the right track here. I’ll see if I can nab one of these, or something close.

And thanks to all the others for your suggestions and support. Off I go shopping now…

Hmm…that IS weird! I wonder if you can search for the item #?

The first one: 2112132655
(Title = WWII US Navy Schick Stadimeter/Box-1943 )

The second one: 2110984080
(Title = WWII AAF B-17 B-24 M2 .50 Ammunition Box )

Sorry…I didn’t mean to buy that exact rocket - just use the idea of shape and form to create one out of ceramic or metal.
There are some interesting, cheaper models at:
http://www.a2zhobbies.com/Estes/Discontinued.html
But some of the other ideas posted here were very good! (And probably a lot easier and affordable as well.)
BTW…I think it is great that you are doing this - what a truly wonderful, whimsical tribute to your father!