What songs are genuinely funny?

On that (off-)note, you have to hear Jonathan and Darlene Edwards (a.k.a. the lovely and talented jazz singer Jo Stafford and her husband Paul Weston) singing popular songs of the day in a very, um, unique styling. Everything from the Charleston to Stayin’ Alive gets their special attention. Proof positive that it takes a very good musician indeed to deliberately sound like a very bad one. Here’s a purported interview with the couple.

I collect and remaster 78 RPM records as a hobby. There’s some very funny material on these old records:

Serutan Yob by Red Ingle - a send-up of Nature Boy, a load of tripe that was a big hit for Nat “King” Cole

Cigareets, Whuskey, and Wild, Wild Women by Red Ingle - this one is a parody of a revival meeting

You’re Bound to Look Like a Monkey When You Get Old by The Hokum Boys - an insult song, that is, a musical version of playing the dozens

She Knows Her Onions by The Happiness Boys - slightly risque humor with very clever lyrics

Etiquette Blues by Jerome Conrad (and several others) - advice that did not come from Emily Post - I’ve been tempted to send a copy of this to Miss Manners

Waffles by the Missouri Jazz Band - a silly song about a food obsession, with deliberately inane lyrics:

Waffles, waffles, waffles for mine,
Cover them and smother them with syrup.
Waffles, waffles, I can eat nine!
When I see a waffle, how I cheer up!

Banana Oil by Vaughn de Leath - a strange song co-written by Milt Gross, a comic strip artist whose work included “Count Screwloose of Toulouse”

Grandad’s Cuspidor by Buck Nation - written to the tune of Grandfather’s Clock, this song is a parody of nostalgia, with the author reminiscing about his grandfather’s disgusting habits

I’m Just Wild About Animal Crackers by the California Ramblers - another song about a food obsession - these seem to have been popular in the twenties

I saw a guy on TV yesterday - Steve Poltz - who did a song I’m Just a Chair. I found the lyrics today at this site :

His site has a discography that includes his album of his own answering machine messages and boy are their some great titles there. Each song is 45 seconds long.

Keep Posin’, MadTV’s parody of Limp Bizkit’s horrible piece of trash, was a hoot.

Now you got your game set
Do we look the same yet
24-7 be as hardcore as you can get
Temporary tatoos
Up and down your arms
They only cost a quarter
and you get free plastic charms!

Yes, “Girlfriend in a Coma” especially.

Also, Ed’s Redeeming Qualities “Lawn Dart”.

Forgot some,

“She Loves My Cock”, and “Lumberjack” by Jackyl.

One of my favorite Smiths songs is “Shakespeare’s Sister”:

“I thought that if you had an acoustic guitar
It meant that you were a protest singer
Oh, I can smile about it now but at the time it was terrible
Nooooooo…”

I know I am going to regret this but - No, I do not get it. Please explain.

prepares forehead for imminent palm strike

Yeah, count me in with the people who aren’t feeling that one. It’s a staggeringly forced rhyme; is that it?

Oh it’s gotta be:

“Titties & Beer”, by Frank Zappa

That Sandler song isn’t really clever or highbrow, but it sure is funny.

“Call me an ugly woman, and take my picture…”

Tenacious D’s entire catalog. Especially Tribute, as mentioned, Two Kings, crap that entire album is great.

Biz Markie’s Just a Friend is funny as hell.

Cows With Guns by I can’t remember is quite hilarious.

“We will fight for bovine freedom. And hold our large heads high.”

Also I’m the Only Gay Eskimo by Corky and the Juice Pigs is down right funny. I think the title speaks for itself.

“I go out seal hunting with my best friend Tarka,
but all I wanna do is get into his parka”

:slight_smile:

[quote]
My momma taught me long ago “Remember this one thing,
surround yourself with losers so that you can be their king.
and if you choose to fall in love, pick someone with a curse,
cuz no matter how bad you may feel, she’ll always feel much worse.”

I love you cuz you’re scared of me, I love you cuz you’re meek,
I love you cuz you’re insecure, unconfident and weak.
Some people think it’s a power trip, but I don’t give a damn.
I love you cuz you make me feel much better than I am.

-Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie - “Better than I am”

[quote]

I’ll nominate Red Dragon Tattoo by Fountans of Wayne, who have a new CD out this week.

I primarily listen to C&W, and there are a lot of funny country songs, even leaving out Cleatus T Judd (a country version of Weird Al). Toby Keith immediately springs to mind (Who’s your daddy, Wanna talk about me, How do you like me know) but there’s also a song called Kiss this by Aaron Tippin that makes me crack up. These’s songs all have funny/a twist ending to the video, so maybe it’s the visuals that do it for me.

As for a “comedy-musical group”, being Canadian, I love the Arrogant Worms (I am cow, hear me moo, I am twice as big as you, and I taste good on the barbeque. Yougurt, curd, cream cheese and butter’s, made from liquid in my udder, I am cow, I am cow, I am cow – and there’s two more verses!) Every song is funny, so I won’t bother listing them - the url is www.arrogant-worms.com.

My dad loves Buddy Watsisname and the Other fellers, a Newfoundland comedy musical group.www.buddywasisname.com

Yay, pushing Can-con on the unsuspecting world!

Well, pirhanas like to eat anything, but they really love smaller fish and/or chicken
She was sitting in the marsh with her genital area submerged…
Some guys claim that this certain area smells like fish and tastes like chicken…
Upon closer inspection the pirhanas realized it was neither.

I`m guessing anyway, but it sounds good.

Okay here is a link for “Angel Baby” Give it a listen.
Remember this song was meant to be taken seriously.
http://us.share.geocities.com/Internet_web_surfer_dude/angel.mp3

“Alice’s Restaurant” – Arlo Guthrie
“Ballad of the Uneasy Rider” – Charlie Daniels Band
The entire album Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention Live at the Fillmore East “When Bwana Dick speaks, the heavens will part!!!”

Almost anything by the Arrogant Worms.

From Their song “Celine Dion”

She’ll sing a song in English
Then she’ll sing en francais
Both the songs will suck,
But I love her anyway…

Lessee…Weird Al, Stephen Lynch, the songs from MST3K, Space Ghost, Monty Python’s songs, Da Vinci’s Notebook, PDQ Bach…and that’s just from scanning through my MP3 playlist.