What songs are genuinely funny?

What songs are truly hilarious? Especially songs that are not by performers who normally go for laughs.

If I were to compile the funniest songs of all time, what should be included?

How about Guns 'N Roses?
Used To Love Her

I used to love her
But I had to kill her
I used to love her, Mm, yeah
But I had to kill her
I had to put her six feet under
And I can still hear her complain

I used to love her, Oo, yeah
But I had to kill her
I used to love her, Oo, yeah
But I had to kill her
I knew I’d miss her
So I had to keep her
She’s buried right in my backyard
The scary thing is, I don’t know if they intended it to be humorous.

:slight_smile:

Give us a clue what you think is funny and we might be able to help you! You want satire? Puns? Topical? Noir humor? Elephant jokes?

I think that part of the joke (or so I’ve heard) is that people got all offended by it, but it was about his dog. He had to put it to sleep, apparently.

In the song itself, he says, “Take it for what it is”; that is, the song itself is a joke, not serious.

Ben Folds Five and William Shatner “In Love”.

It’s hard to tell when Shatner is being serious or funny.

Supposedly, the song was written about a dog, but they thought it would be funny to make it sound like it was about a woman. Or that’s what they claimed at the time in response to women’s groups who called it misogynistic, not that I could ever find the original article as my old hard rock/metal mags all got thrown out in a frenzy of housecleaning a few years back.

Funny songs depends on how you define funny. I think “Masochism Tango” is brilliantly funny. I also think Elvis Presley’s “Wooden Heart” is hilarious. I know the melody is based on a German children’s song, or so says the cd liner notes, and that’s what’s funny about it - it’s got the romantic poetry for lyrics, but it still sounds like he’s playing “Itsy Bitsy Spider” or something.

I Love Me, “as sung with great success by Mr. Billy Murray.”

Gilda Radner’s “Let’s Talk Dirty to the Animals” and “I Love to be Unhappy”

I did not know that! That piece of information is going to completely change how I feel about the song. Although, to be honest, I thought it was funny. Now it’s sad. :frowning:

syncrolecyne, I think the Beatles wrote some light-hearted songs, but probably none that were downright hysterical. Bet other Dopers will come up with some more, though.

Always been partial to Beautiful South lyrics, but they’re more dry than haha funny:

I’ll Sail This Ship Alone:

Song From Whoever:

Of course, there is: I Love You (But You’re Boring)

David Allan Coe’s You Never Even Call Me By My Name (though I’m sure that’s not the proper name of the song, I can’t be bothered to dig out my CD.)

His song Divers Do it Deeper is pretty funny as well.

Ben Folds Five Army, I suppose.

Beck’s song…oh what is it…the one where he wants to sleep with the two sisters…I’m sure someone here can help me out. It’s pretty damn funny. The name of the song might be Deborah.

Mr. Cash’s A Boy Named Sue written by Mr. Silverstein.

I wore out my copy of Live at San Quentin listening to this as a kid and I still like it.

I thought that Dynamite Hack’s Boys 'N the Hood was pretty funny as well, although that is only because it is an acoustic version by a couple of white boys and not because of the content.

“Big Bottom” by Spinal Tap, of course

“Watching Johnny Glow,” “Veg-e-matic,” and “How Much Tequila Did I Drink Last Night?” by Steve Goodman
“They Ain’t Makin’ Jews Like Jesus Anymore” by Kinky Friedman

and many, many more.

Anything by the Bonzo Dog Band. They can make instrumentals that have you laughing.

Ditto Spike Jones.

And there’s also “Teen Angel.”

As far as music by performers who aren’t known to go for laughs, I’d suggest these:

Cream – “Mother’s Lament”
Procul Harum – “Mabel” (“Don’t eat green meat, it ain’t good for you/killed your mother, killed your sister, too.”)
Beatles – “You Know My Name, Look Up the Number” (extremely weird)
Rolling Stones – “Dear Doctor”
The Who – “My Wife” (Listen to the lyrics – John Entwistle has an amazing sense of humor)
Lyle Lovitt – “Here I Am”

I found this one online. It’s called “perfect day” by a guy called drew. His website is toothpastefordinner.com, and it’s in the music section.

It goes:

It’s a perfect day for punching birds
they chirp and squeak and bother me
and fly around my head!
And wake me up when I’m in bed
oh it’s a perfect day, it’s a perfect day…

and then there’s verses about cats, kids, and snails.

Great stuff.

Kill human being = funny

Kill canine = sad

Interesting…

Ah, lighten up, man. The song was funny mainly because of the “I can still hear her complain” line. It wasn’t my intention for my comment to be taken that seriously.

Wait! Has anyone mentioned Alice Cooper’s necrophelia (sp?) song, or Zappa’s “Watch out where the huskies go, and don’t you eat that yellow snow?”

Tenacious D’s tribute, mainly with the video. The part where JB sings “And we said nay! We are but men! Rock!” and rips his shirt and goes “wooooo-oooo” with purple light flowing from behind him never fails to crack me up.

I’ve always been partial to the Mothers of Invention’s Billy the Mountain.

The Zappa song you mention is Don’t Eat the Yellow Snow. He did a lot of funny, bizarre stuff.

Doesn’t that Guns ‘n’ Roses song end with “She bitched so much, she drove me nuts/And now I will be seeing her in hell?” Or am I thinking of a different one?

If you’re somewhat sick, you might find the Misfits’ Last Caress funny. (Metallica did it later.) A friend of mine once performed a rather delicate solo version on piano. THAT was funny.