What sport would you like to see added to the Olympics?

As I’m watching some equestrian something, I think that as long as we’re going to have animals in the Olympics, I’d like to see some sort of dog/frisbee competition. I’m generally opposed to sports with judging so maybe some combination of how far and how quickly a dog can catch the frisbee and return it to the starting point. Of course, the Border Collies will dominate.

Feel free to make up a sport or use an existing one. It doesn’t have to be serious.

Squash and cricket.

Squash is a really fun and difficult game to play. Very demanding sport which the professionals make look so simple. They have excellent agility and hand-eye coordination. I think this should have been in the Olympics already by now.

Cricket is also a fun game and played by most commonwealth nations so you’d get a lot of participants. If length of time is an issue you could always reduce the time by making it 10 overs (60 balls) each innings.

Kendo

Baseball’s already in for this one, but I would to see it retained longterm instead of Tokyo being a 1-time exception.

Snooker. I know that’s an odd one for the Olympics, but it’s one the most fascinating sports of all and very popular. Of course the summer Olympics are off-season for snooker, so maybe it would be fun to have the snooker Olympic tournament at the winter Olympics.

Polo would be interesting, a sport that gets almost no coverage in the USA.

Is lacrosse played worldwide, it’s getting more popular in the USA

I Googled the above phrase, and received this bit of info, which I did not know:

To be considered for the Olympics, a sport must be played on four continents and by at least 75 countries. Lacrosse is played on all six continents, but as of August 2019 when Ghana joined, there are only 63 countries playing the sport.

Croquet and cricket both used to be Olympic events.

Hot dog eating

For shits & giggles I’d love to see hurling in the Olympics.
There’d be WWIII rather than a closing ceremony but it’d be a ball-tearer.

How about we include the requirement that for every event you propose added you nominate the event(s) that it displaced. OOC guidelines are that there is are no more athletes so if you add a team sport you can’t remove a single individual event.

For consistency personally I’d remove half the swimming program. But #1 target needs to synchronised swimming.

To be honest, I’d never heard of hurling but I’m certainly glad that the first google result wasn’t what I feared it would be.

Channelling the Australian cultural attache Sir Les Patterson?
:musical_note: "If I had to pick a spot, to regurgitate the lot, I’d chunder in the old Pacific Sea :musical_note:

I’d like to see bowling, for the same reason I love watching curling in the winter games. They’re fun sports to watch because they’re not out of reach for the average person to just play with their buddies (even if they might suck at them compared to Olympic-level competitors).

I vote against bowling. Any game with a potential maximal score is no fun. You need to allow the athletes to keep topping themselves. I would get rid of the sailing. Does anybody really care about it? Did you know that there are ten different classes? Keep the modern pentathlon. Nobody cares about it except me but I find a pentathlete a helpful person to have around if you are in trouble. You need somebody who can fence with or shoot your enemies and also go for help across any terrain, by running, swimming, or riding an unfamiliar horse. None of this bring your own horse crap the equestrians do. No, they have to take whatever random horse they are assigned. (In the winter, I want a biathlete, someone who can shoot me some dinner and go for help). I would like to see skateboarding and BMX halfpipe since it takes out some of the randomness of the scoring.

I swear I remember watching squash at the Olympics many years ago - they had a glass back wall so you could see the action. I wonder where it went?

I’m going to suggest ‘ultimate frisbee’ - it’s a fast team game, mixed gender, and my nephew plays for Team GB which would be SO COOL.

The ten minute run.

I may be in the minority but I think that there are too many sports and games in the Olympics already. Those I’d remove include:

• equestrian events
  • shooting/archery
  • synchronized swimming
  • table tennis
  • tennis
  • speed walking
  • golf
  • baseball
  • sailing (though it pains me to say it)
  • rhythmic gymnastics
  • water polo
  • diving

I would add:

• strong-men/women competitions
  • xtreme games in which athletes perform a series of high intensity challenges

Remove Water Polo, replace it with Marco Polo.

I would remove any sport where the Olympics are not the pinnacle of international competition, such as:

Tennis
Golf
Football/soccer

Precisely my reasoning as well. Though I’m a fan of cycling in general, I’d remove all non-velodrome events as well.